Dermadexin

Hi guys,

I’m just wondering if anyone of you has heard about Dermadexin. It is a new medication that specifically targets SD and that is right now under regulatory review in the US and Canada for marketing approval.

It was originally developed by a small Danish company called Astion Pharmaceuticals and has then been in-licensed by Cipher Pharmaceuticals. In Europe Dermadexin is already approved as a Class III medical device but as a matter of fact hasn’t reached pharmacy shelves yet. It seems therefore likely that this medication will be first available in North America, maybe sometime next year.

Dermadexin’s mechanism of action seems to be really novel and the clinical studies they did with it delivered highly promising results. Details about the medication can be found in the related brochure:
http://designkolonien.dk/DOWNLOAD/Dermadexin_download.pdf

Personally I can’t say anything good or bad about this product, I just wanted to share this information that shows that there is research going on.

All the best,
Simon

Hi Simon,

I gave the link you provided a quick read and it does seem promising, keeping in mind that it’s information provided by the pharmaceutical company itself. I thought it was interesting that one of the two components they address is the skin’s microbiome, which, I think is much the same conclusion that Michael has come to. I would be curious to know what Michael’s take is on the information provided in the link. In any case, the fact that a drug company has developed a new treatment for SD and recognizes that it’s an important area of research (and potential profit…) can only be positive in working towards better and more effective treatments. I have several friend who are doctors–not dermatologists–in Europe so I intend to ask them if they know anything about this product.

Thanks for sharing this information.

Laura

Hi Simon and Laura,

Looked through the document when Simon initially posted, but wanted to wait to actually find out more information in order to post a more educated response.

Basically, from the looks of it the product is in a way similar to Biom8, however the ingredients are further modified. The active ingredient is Pyridine-3-Carboxamide Glyceryl Monocaprylate. Even though I couldn’t find too much information, the name implies caprylic acid is involved. The ending part (Monocaprylate) basically means exactly one fatty acid (caprylic) molecule forms a bond with one glycerol molecule. Monocaprylate alone has been shown to posses good antimicrobial potential (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22344642).

The Pyridine-3-carboxamide derivatives have a patent which states that the influence and modulate the cannabinoid receptors (http://www.google.com/patents/US7229999). Personally, I’m not too comfortable with this approach as the long term implications remain unclear (would only be know after enough people have used this).

Hopefully that adds to the discussion and look forward to any input.

All the best.