I'm the creator of SkinDrone.
My first encounter with seborrheic dermatitis was around 5-6 years when I was half way through my university degree. It started with a small spot the right of my nose and eventually took over the majority of my face. This attending class and work really difficulty as I was constantly uncomfortable with myself.
Along the way, I visited my fair share of doctors, dermatologists, and holistic practitioners; spent countless hours scouring the web; and attempted a significant amount of treatments.
Some of the topical treatments included:
- Anti-fungals (pyrithione zinc, clotrimazole, coal tar, ketoconazole)
- Antibiotic creams (in tandem with the corticosteroids)
- A bag full of moisturizers, creams, lotions, soaps
- Cupboard full of natural treatments (honey, salt, vinegar, yoghurt, sulfonated shale oil, mud masks, grapefruit seed extract and many others)
Also attempted various systemic treatments including:
- Various common supplements (vitamins, minerals, probiotics, amino acids, etc)
- More unique supplements (colostrum, zinc-l-cornisone, caprylic acid, milk thistle, hyualoronic acid, etc)
Despite the amount of money and efforts spent, unfortunately, none of this yielded any lasting results and my skin continued to degrade. At this point, my hopes of recovery looked slim.
Then one day, I decided to start this website and simply document my progress. This in turn created an unexpected chain of events that finally led me to lasting results. This chain of events can be summed up as follows:
- Stop searching the internet for answers and jumping between treatments
- Obtained samples from a local pharmacy of various creams
- Tried the most recommended one and this along gave me good results for over a year
- While my skin was fairly stable, I focused on collecting and documenting as much medical literature on the subject as possible
- The results the of the cream/cleanser (I was using) started to wean and I started experimenting with my own custom formulations
- My own formulation gave me even better results, which have sustained until today
So, that's basically my journey in a few bullet points.
However, I still think there is room for improvement.
For example, at the peak of my progress I had adjusted my diet, improved my physical activity and learned to better control my mental mood. This lead to much less dependence on topical control and also improved many other factors of my health (including various life long issues I've had).
Some other issues that I've had:
- Nasal congestion (post nasal drip)
- Bad breath and dehydration
- Ear issues (left ear has liquid inside due to small eustachian tube)
Unfortunately, as time went on, I lost many of these healthy habits and it seems like my health has been slowly degrading again since. Particularly, in recent couple of months I've noticed significantly more pimples, some fluctuations in my dandruff (which has stopped bothering my for nearly two years without any real topical treatment) and much more mood instability (similar to when seborrheic dermatitis was at it's peak).
Luckily, at-least my facial skin has remained clear and my social life hasn't really been effected.
Nonetheless, I believe it's time to refocus and put everything that I've learned so far about the condition to use. And this is why I decided it's time to build out a step-by-step program to secure long term progress.
That's my story and thanks for taking the time to read through it.