5 Proven Home Remedies for Seborrheic Dermatitis on the Scalp

Hi Paul,

Hard to say what the best approach for this area would be. How was the diagnosis made (visual evaluation or skin biopsy)?
Majority of seborrheic dermatitis appears to be caused by malassezia. This fungus requires oily sebum to thrive (which the groin area typically lacks). As a result, my theory would be that you are not dealing with malassezia here.
Perhaps seeking a more specialized medical professional and getting a skin biopsy done may be a good place to start. Once you know exactly what you are dealing with here, it becomes much easier to find a suitable treatment approach.

Hope that helps.
If you have the time, let me know how things go.

All the best.

Curad silver solution found at drug stores over counter and ordered on line (cheaper) I order 10 gel tubes at a time It continues to hold back facial dandruff (lip % eyelid peeling too. also inflammation
I 've had a very severe case for 5 months . The first 3 months tried oreganol oil (greasy & burns )
on face. it held it back (went to Derm. for a prescription shampoo . He said your face has cured. I said NO! the oreganol oil is keeping it back If I wipe it off in less then 5 min, it comes out of pores like crazy. (I have a 12x Mag, mirror to monitor the secretion) He prescribed 2.5 cortisteroid and a liquid type for scalp itching. Like a fool I did as he recommend and it got soooo much worse even
the oreganol oil I tried again made it inflamed and so much worse. CURAD to the rescue ! quickly
like a miracle ! ! ! So glad I found it. unfortunately I have tried every signal dandruff shampoo and cannot resolve the glue like scale that take an hour to scratch and fine tooth comb off, I did
order a dog sebborheia shampoo on line (leaving it on scalp without rinsing ) and am able to scratch, comb, & brush out white hard flakes. Getting tired (time consuming continuation of oily
scale build up. Will try honey ? tried acv didn’t work. dog shampoo leaves hair soft but scalp a
little dryer.
I HOPE YOU WILL RECOMMEND THE CURAD SILVER SOLUTION TO OTHERS.
ESPECIALLY SINCE THIS CHRONIC DISEASE RUINS THE QUALITY OF LIFE FOR SO MANY, EVEN
THOSE THAT ALREADY HAVE DIRE CIRCUMSTANCES . that at times makes them wish they were
not born.
THANK YOU FOR ADDRESSING THIS PROBLEM AND TRYING TO HELP OUR FELLOW
HUMANS. ( by the way I.m down to 98 lbs. I’ve given up cheese, oils, all fats except 1% milk )
trying to reduce the sebum that the sicking fugues thrives on ( the fungi will multiply in a petri dish with olive oil. ) strange huh?
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK . Best wishes, chris

ch

I’m happy to inform that after more than 15 years battling with severe seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp, I’m finally seeing some improvements. I’m using 100% organic coconut oil. After the first week almost all of my scarring is gone and I no longer bleed like I use to. I use to wake up with blood on my pillow, or sometimes if I scratched it would bleed badly. I will continue to use this product since it doesn’t irate my scalp at all.

At first i was going to the beach often because i learned sea salt was good for it. But I noticed my scalp was always heavily dry. I tried hemp old before and tea tree oil, those didn’t work for me. I even ate more garlic often and stayed away from fatty foods but I never noticed an improvement.

It’s amazing it’s clearing up, I hope hair grows back on my scalp if it’s totally gone one day.

How much apple cider vinegar do you apply, how long do you leave it on and do you lightly rinse or leave it on.
I have sd very thick on my scalp and after many treatments no success, very sweaty head after treatment causes it to return with a vengeance within 4 hours. Do you think your treatment might work.o

I have suffered with SD for a few years now doctor prescribed a cortisone lotion that worked at first but came back ,a few weeks ago I started using Psoriasin Therapeutic shampoo in the morning and then before I went to bed mixed 1part tea tree oil with 2 parts water and dabbed it over the affected area of my scalp …washed it of with the shampoo in the morning .Within a few days I noticed a big difference and now it is completely gone .I am still using the shampoo every 3 days and the tee tree mixture once a week … I am totally amazed and holding my breath that it doesn’t come back .I wanted to share my experience as I know how distressing this condition can be …I can’t believe such a simple method would rid me of this when a strong cortisone lotion wouldn’t work ?!!

I have suffered with SD for a few years now doctor prescribed a cortisone lotion that worked at first but came back ,a few weeks ago I started using Psoriasin Therapeutic shampoo in the morning and then before I went to bed mixed 1part tea tree oil with 2 parts water and dabbed it over the affected area of my scalp …washed it of with the shampoo in the morning .Within a few days I noticed a big difference and now it is completely gone .I am still using the shampoo every 3 days and the tee tree mixture once a week … I am totally amazed and holding my breath that it doesn’t come back .I wanted to share my experience as I know how distressing this condition can be …I can’t believe such a simple method would rid me of this when a strong cortisone lotion wouldn’t work

Hey…
I am also suffering from seborrheic dermatitis… So shall I use tree tea oil and mix it with water. Any specific brand or any available in the market.
And any other remedies please suggest.
And I will surely try tea tree oil.

Over two months since the apple cider & clove oil treatment in my original comment … and the sd has not returned (this after years of misery for my son).

Your Comment here…it’s six years now im struggling with fungus on my scalp and I’m experiencing hair loss .I’ve been using antifungul drugs and shampoos but it’s not working .What’s the effective remedy can I use from the above stated list

Intro (for time poor readers) - regular swimming in the ocean (and generally not showering after) has been the only thing I’ve found to remove all symptoms, anyone else had this? More detail below.

I’ve suffered SD for many years now, always dealing with flares that come with no identifiable catalyst. It affects me around my nose, eyebrows and on my scalp. Previously I have found temporary cure from using Ketomed (Ketoconazole 20mg) however that now seems to be less and less effective, and actually making my nose area worse than it ever has been.

Recently I was backpacking around Europe for 2.5 months - not eating overly healthy, not getting any kind of routine sleep and drinking a lot of alcohol. However during this time I had a complete disappearance of all signs. I’ve since settled in the German countryside, eating a purely raw & vegan diet, getting a solid 8 hours sleep every night at rational hours - and it has flared up badly again!!!

The only constant, that was out of the norm over that 2.5 month period was regular swimming in the ocean and hanging at the beach (I was in the ocean almost daily and generally not showering after).

Anyone else experienced this?

Thank you for all of your time, effort, work and research. I have Psoriasis and Seborrheic Dermatitis on my face, scalp and right elbow. The thick crusting in my eyebrows at times, the ongoing Crusting, red scaley area on my right eyelid and the scaley patches on my face has Now left me NOT leaving the house and in depression. What’s scarey is that I have severe lesions at the base of my scalp that my Doctor said is Folliculitis with Psoariasis/Seb. Dermatitis encrusted over them, and my whole scalp has tons of areas of thick itchy crusty patches when scratched it bleeds and gets inflamed. Recently it has been around my Forhead hairline area…SOOO EMBARRASSING AND MAKEUP DOESNT even hide it. I am Disabled and on a low fixed income…From an RN to Povery level and Orphaned with No siblings and No financial help I Never never ever would have imagined!! I need help. I’ve tried most everything you have tried, except for the Honey as I am Severly allergic to Honey. A shame, since it has so many other health benefits. I am Perfume, scents, allergic due to my Asthma and COPD I cannot use many Essential oils and some carrier oils. THIS WOMAN IS A MESS YOU ARE PROBABLY THINKING! Well, pretty knowledgeable about herbs,oils, holistic medicine…here I sit saddened at I cannot get an occasional paycheck to blog, sell my own proven remedies for fear I lose my only guaranteed said check. These people think if you can do one thing intermittently you must be able to work full time and POOF… you are healed and better! Erggg…Well, to conclude, two of my dear friends have Seborrheic Dermatitis, Psoriasis, and itchy flakey skin and scalp also. I am curious to your invented treatment and the cost. And I thank you for your time in reading my seemingly arduous email. Blessings, Dawn @dblair613@gmail.com

1st off, i have had SD for about 4 to 5 yrs. now , and still i haven’t really gotten any cure whatsoever, my parents tried to go to a lot of doctors, they gave me creams, pills, more creams and ointments, all of them worked, for a time that is, I’m 21 y/o btw, we used up A LOT of money trying to get rid of it. The doctors, all of them, never told me it was SD, they kept saying other stuff, i looked around a bit, the web, my mothers books, my mother is a Industrial nurse, so she has a lot of medical books lying around, and found out that whatever the doctors are calling it, ain’t what the books say it is, then i found out it was SD, kept telling the doctors it might be SD, but no, nobody listens to a me. So we ended up using a lot of money, now im poor, and am using an anti fungal ointment, it works, but only to keep SD at bay, not entirely cure me of it, but now that i ran out and have no money to buy more, i’ve started using the apple cider thing, and i’ve just done so, and so far so good, works just like the ointment i ran out off.

Really hoping for good results from this, and will try other methods if this fails or will combine with others.

I will also try to first use sea salt wash then the apple cider wash. Will update on the results after 2 weeks or so.

Thanks.
Your Filipino Buddy :))

Yes I’ve experienced lots of hair loss, very depressing and don’t know what to do about it…tried everything already…

Hello. Thank you so much. Ive decided to be chemical free as far as relaxers. I am African American and had natural thick shoulder length hair. Well the combination of stress and itchy scalp took over years ago. The tea tree oil has been amazing. Thank you. I aslo believe that cutting down on caffeine and drinking way more water helped. Thank you again ??

If i may ask, how did you apply the tea tree oil, and how often??

I can do all things through Jesus Christ who strengthens me?Philippians 4:13

You got heads and cloves mixed up. The cloves are the small parts that make up a head of garlic. Not the other way around.

Hello, I have been battling this for 20 years and it has gotten so much worse lately. Which led me to find you while searching for relief. I think I will try the coconut oil, and honey method. Thank you, can’t keep using the steroid and prescription shampoo.

When I lived in the florida, the summer months were the only months where it completely went away. I would swim in the ocean almost daily with only a slight freshwater rinse of my body afterward. I always let my hair dry naturally. I have SD on my scalp and I have moved back home to Washington state, no matter what I do here it doesn’t go away. I have been using the same foam now for years. It works very well for emergencies or rapid build up. Olux (Clobetasol) saves my life. although it sayd to not use it for long periods of time, I keep getting it prescribed to me and it immensely helps with the itching and breaks down the flaking.

-also I noticed any high mold prone environment makes it grow very rapidly. I stayed in Curacao in the dutch carribean and the hotel had a pretty bad mold problem, I started losing chunks of hair because of this, the fresh saltwater was no combat for mold in the air. I had to get out.

-Long story short, its a great excuse to move somewhere sunny near the beach, its the only time I was 100% clear of it.

Hello there! I experienced the same when I was on holiday but I believe it has to do more with sun exposure than with the swimming in the ocean. Sun expusore can often help reduce the sympthoms (but don’t forget to use sunscreen!!)

Thank you for this list of options to try I have used tea tree oil and it helps but I feel like I have to keep up with it more. Washing my hair in general is a chore without waiting 30 minutes while the tea tree oil is on my scalp my hair and scalp would still take 40 minutes to wash and then 45 minutes to an hour to blow dry. Why did I have to choose big thick dreadlocks lol. Well i used tea tree oil shampoo that my wife concocted for me washed my hair then used it on my scalp waited about 30 minutes washed it off and my scalp felt wonderful no flaking no itch bliss but two weeks later it was fully back that being said I am thinking about the baking soda apple cider vinegar route just to see how it works mostly because that is what is in the house now wish me luck cause my scalp sucks but I just have to stop being lazy and prepare my self for 2 hour showers and wash the hair probably every week. Cutting my locks is not an option thanks for the insight