Seborrheic Dermatitis on the Nose - The Complete Guide

p.s. Swimming in a chlorine pool could be good because the chlorine kills bacteria on the face. Salt does it too it seems.

http://circleofseven.net/top-five-benefits-swimming-has-on-your-skin/

Yeah, let me know how the samples go. It would be interesting to hear if they actually mail them to you.

As for the salt, perhaps it’s the iodine content as well. Or maybe it’s just the complex natural composition of sea water (full with it’s own diverse range of microbes). It’s all just guessing though.

The only reason I found the watts stuff is because I was doing some research on topical arginine. It’s supposed to be good at improving circulation and nutrient delivery to the top layer of the skin.
Plus the hyaluronic acid has lots of good stuff written about it. Check out the clinical significance section on wikipedia.

Let me know what you end up getting and look forward to any updates.

Hey Chris,
One thing just came to mind a while back, but I haven’t mentioned it on the site yet.

A bit ago I had some nasal congestion and bought some saline nasal spray (0.9%). It seems like it would be perfect as a facial spray instead.
It’s a really fine mist, so spraying this onto the face seems like an appealing method of salt water treatment.
The one I bought was a little more expensive, but it’s actual sea water that has been sterilized and they claim on the package it contains all the other trace minerals.

Here is the exact one: http://amzn.to/1K1WKNz. It’s way too expensive on Amazon though.
Mine was around $10 CAD at a local store.

Haven’t tried it on my face though (if it ain’t broke don’t fix it).
Just thought I should share.

Cool idea about the sea salt nasal mist. I will keep it in mind.

Just to you know, I contacted Cetaphil and they got back to me in a couple of days. So they are sending me the samples. Woo-hoo!

Also, I did try to sign up for the forum but never received the confirmatory email. Not sure what happened there.

I figured out the forum problem. Just a typo with my email address.

Great to hear. Will include that information on the site somewhere.
Thanks for confirming and glad to see you on the community :slight_smile:

Hi again Michael.

I thought I would let you know how the Restoraderm was going. I got the free samples in the mail as you suggested. Great tip!

I ate some known “bad” foods for me in order to put the Restoraderm to the test. (Soy sauce and kimchi.)

I tried the cleanser and moisturizer for a few days according to your protocol. Unfortunately, I didn’t see any obvious change in my skin. The redness and scaliness were basically unchanged.

I think the Restoraderm could still be useful on a long term basis but it did not have an obvious suppressing effect on any breakouts. I know that if I stay away from the bad foods, I can keep mine under mostly control.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear that it didn’t work out.
When I started using it initially, I was on a super clean diet so maybe this might have played a role. An perhaps the Restoraderm was useful in locking in any progress.
I’ve been studying their formulation and the patent behind it (https://www.google.com/patents/US20100324111), but basically it’s meant to restore the acid mantel and supplement some missing components of atopic skin (that Watts one has some of these components).

Here’s a paper comparing different ingredients in most popular moisturisers:

Overall though everything I’ve researched so far has been hinting towards immune system issues. In one study (I can’t find at the moment) they mentioned that once we hit +70 years of age, atopic conditions like SD seem to go away from natural immune system down-regulation and something happening to our t-cells.
This is such a complex subject though and super frustrating to try to understand.

I’ll try to add an area on the site where people can submit their trigger foods. Maybe statistics can uncover some similarities.

Also, here is the digestion chapter outline of the book I’m working on: https://workflowy.com/s/bw29onN3EV
Let me know what you think (if you end up looking through it).

All the best and hope you find something that works.

Sir for the first time in my life I ve been diagnosed to have seborrheic dermatitis present around nasolabial fold, it’s been 7days I got it n m on topical corticosteroids… So this disease won’t go n ve to live with it right??

I don’t know what made it come
Previous to it I was on oral steroids for 10days, had acne all over my back n chest n shoulder n I stopped steroid which was prescribed for my disc disease… Then this started
Please guide me what do I do from now only

Hi Kanishka,

I’m sorry to hear that. Hard to say if it ever goes away or not.
For me it has been gone for about a year. Last week I actually forcefully made it come back by testing out a certain dietary approach I’ve been working on for this site. However, the dietary thing still needs further testing from the community.

For now perhaps you may find some useful information in the “Overview of Seborrheic Dermatitis Face Treatments” post. The last few sections cover what worked for me and the Restoraderm products seemed to be fairly effective for many others as well (you can find feedback in the comments).

Additionally, for the dietary approach you can find a link and password to access it in this comment. But, this approach still needs testing by others in order to determine it’s overall effectiveness.

Hope that helps and best of luck!
PS. I’m sure you will be able to get things under control.

I just wanted to say that I get SD around my nasal folds every summer. Usually I just put up with it and it goes away within 2 months of vigilant washing and not wearing makeup. This year it was bad, and spreading fast so I decided to try something new, I found Nizoral shampoo, the active ingredient is an antifungal, ketoconazole, last week and the first use the redness was greatly diminished and itching was gone. I’m now on day 5 of using it and I have a 90% improvement. I don’t know if it will last or work for everyone but it’s helped me at least not be embarrassed to be seen in public the last week. Like I said, my SD is not chronic so it may be different for people who suffer year round. Mine actually clears when fall hits and the heat and humidity go away. I wash my face twice a day with it but I think tomorrow I will cut down to once as it dries the skin quite a bit. Hopefully if you try this it will work for you.

Hi Myrna,

Thanks for checking in and describing your experience. Glad to hear the Nizoral worked so well for you. For me it totally controlled the SD, but the skin was left looking a little unhealthy, bare and dried out. That was the main reason I kept searching. Kind of wanted to find the least invasive approach to control things.

I’ve been currently getting a much better understand of SD. Hoping to put this down in writing soon. Basically though, what I currently understand is that our skin (people that suffer from SD) is missing vital anti-microbial fatty acids or peptides. Without these it becomes much more prone to colonization by foreign invaders. Nizoral works by wiping out the foreign invaders, but I think the most effective long-term approach is correcting the faulty skin barrier.

Thanks again for leaving details on your experience. All the best!

Hi Michael,

Just thought I would update as it’s been over 2 weeks since starting Nizoral. I continued using it twice a day and my skin seemed to get worse, but it in a different way. It was red and dry and very sensitive. I figured it was because the Nizoral was giving me a slight chemical burn ( I was leaving it on for 5 minutes and really scrubbing it into my skin) I cut down to once a day and not leaving it on for a few minutes Liked I had been and my skin is back to improving. Flakes and itching are gone and all that remains is a slight pink around my nose. I do think Nizoral is helpful if used in moderation. I feel like it tamed the majority of the beast and made it just manageable enough so I wasn’t stressing about it all the time. Hopefully it continues to improve! I use cetephil as a daily wash btw and try not to put any lotion on.

Hi Myrna,

Thanks for the update. Yeah, Nizoral is some pretty strong stuff. Perhaps a prescription product containing ketoconazole (specifically designed for the face) could be better, however I have not tried any. Also, it’s been my experience that the less forceful I am when applying anything the better the results.

I’ve been doing a ton of research in the past month or so and I think there may be a better approach to SD than anti-fungal treatments. Will send an update as soon as I have everything down on paper.

Hope things keep improving and thanks for the update. All the best.

I m from india and i suffer from seborrhice dermatitise within 4 years

Hi Manish,

That is unfortunate to hear. Another individual from India had good results with the apple cider vinegar treatment. Additionally, my own experience is best documented in this overview of seborrheic dermatitis face treatments article.

Hope that helps. Ps. Let me know if you plan on trying the Apple Cider Vinegar approach as the previous person sent me details on where she was able to purchase it in India.

I just wanted to thank you for making this site. I have suffered from Seborrheic Dermatitis since 10th grade, and while I was able to keep it controlled in high school it eventually got out of hand. Covering my entire forehead, moving from my nose onto my cheeks, and starting around my mouth. None of my previous treatments had been working. I had given up on finding a treatment and thought I was just going to have to live the rest of my life with my face covered in scale. I went years rarely treating it because everything I had tried failed. I came across your site one day and it inspired me to try some of the treatments listed here. After using ACV to remove the scale and then using restoraderm lotion (a product I had seen but never thought to try) my Seborrheic Dermatitis drastically improved in a few days. Now a bad day is some minor pink that usually goes unnoticed, rather than having to hear comments about how I need to apply sunblock to my face better. Thanks!

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for checking and sharing your story.
Happy to hear about the success :slight_smile: Hope it keeps improving.
The Restoraderm worked really well for about a year for me. However, results started to get a little shaky this summer.

For the past 1.5 months I’ve drastically changed my approach and only use water and product I’ve made myself.
You can read details here:
My Seborrheic Dermatitis Skin Regimen

Also, if it’s of interest to you. You can find a draft copy of the SD chapter of a book I’ve been working on here:
All About Seborrheic Dermatitis<
It goes into detail on what seborrheic dermatitis is.

Hope that helps and all the best!

Hi where can I buy the Restoraderm Wash and Moisturiser for the Nose and Face. I have looked on the cetaphil website and it just shows a body wash. I look forward to hearing from you

Hi Suzanne,

Sorry for the confusion, the ones that I used are actually usually labeled as Body.
However, I exclusive used them for my facial area. Additional information can be found in a previous comment: Response to Martin regarding Cetaphil Products.

Hope that helps.
Best of luck.