Nystatin A Potential Seborrheic Dermatitis Treatment

Hi Jay,

I wrote you a long reply this morning, but I don’t see it yet. I really hope I didn’t mess up. There was some good stuff in there! :smiley: Hopefully it’s still just awaiting moderation, but it has never taken this long, so I’m losing faith.

I’ll get back to your questions soon if it doesn’t show up. But right now, I’m going to bed!

Best regards,
Joakim

Okay -.- I see it now. It popped up when I submitted the other one! Uhm… yeah, I think it’ll be all right.

Sorry for the impatience, Michael! :slight_smile:

Shane please let us know if u have any success with it as well, here in italy i couldnt find a nystatin cream with no corticosteroids included so i would have to order it from amazon.de but i want to be sure before applying new stuff on my face. I ve been suffering this condition since i was 19 y old. It worsened along the years. First was only on the nose sides. Then on the hairline and in the end all over the scalp and the forehead. I keep it at bay using aluseb (not sure if this product is sold outside italy too) wich cleared it completely on the hairline but couldnt do much for the forehead. Recently the situation on my scalp got worse and i cant seem to find a shampoo that doesnt irritate it. Showering it s a nightmare. Well anyway just let me know about your results with nystatin and possibly this new product sold in uk. Last thing: sunbaths and the salty water of adriatic sea always clear it completely for me during summer. But it always comes back…

No problem :slight_smile:
Not sure why your comments don’t bypass the moderation cue. Usually, repeat commentators don’t go into moderation.

All the best.

I’m sorry to hear about your struggle, Met!

I will say, though, that there is hope: I’ve said it before, but after I started using nystatin on my face alone, the inflammation disappeared everywhere, including on my scalp and chest!
I have no idea how it is all interconnected, but there is a chance that you will see the same effect.

Fingers crossed!

Hi Shane,

Took a look. Strange how they don’t appear to have much information about the product listed (ingredients and etc).

Not sure if you have seen it yet, but I’ve made my own all natural solution a couple months back. Which, came out of my research while trying to write a book on the subject.
It’s called Biom8 and user feedback has been quite good so far. You can check it out here:

Personally try to keep it’s advertisement on this website to a minimal, but it’s honestly been the best thing I’ve tried.
My own write up on my experience is here.

Hope that helps and look forward to any updates.

Yeah I did notice that and obviously there will be many claiming to have the cure but in reality very few crack the code! But at the same time I like to keep an eye on new solutions or alternatives because maybe one of them will be the potion we are all searching for! Thats cool I wasnt aware that this was your product, Il check it out :wink: thanks, Shane.

Hi Met, Yeah I share your struggle and like you it appeared either side of my nose, spreading outwards as time passed. Forehead and on my chin etc. So let me say I have tried several creams and nothing has ever ever worked! I have tried Apple Cider Vinegar and that hasnt work. Nystatin is a life saver!!! This is only my 5th day using it and my skin has completely cleared up like never before. I apply it twice a day Morning and Evening. My skin hasnt lookined this good in maybe two years or more. I bought it from Apons (German company) took about a week to arrive. Anyway just take my word, this cream is the thign Ive ever tried. Shane.

Hi Shane,

For sure. Happy to hear about your results from the Nystatin as well. This would likely be something I try if Biom8 stops working, but hopefully it will never come to that. The only issue I somewhat have is my desire to stay away from commercial antifungals. Intuitively I feel somewhat uncomfortable with long term usage of them. Research shows that nytstatin is safe, it’s more of a personal preference. But at least out of the ones commonly used for seborrheic dermatitis, nytstatin is in part of natural origin. However, from my research there are various natural compounds that appear to show effectiveness which is on par with synthetics (what inspired the original Biom8 and the upcoming probiotic based formula).

Hope things continue indefinitely.
All the best and thanks for sharing your experience in detail.

Michael I will read your chapters this weekend.

My seb derm dissapeared from legs, arms, cheast and thighs when quiting processed foods, candy, desserts and gluten. Final battle is the face.

Scalp is good. I’m using an all natural schampo from a danish comany Urte kram. I pull my fungers hard on the scalp and drag away any signs of dandruff when showering. I don’t use anti-dandruff shampos.

Made a post under your regimen 2.0 regarding flaxseed oil, borage oil and fish oil taken internally. Very intresting post from curezone. Thanks Joakim for the nystatin ingredients.

Have a great weekend all,
Hakan

Here are three amazing articles on taking borage oil and flaxseed oil to go from red and scaly skin to healty and moist skin.

http://www.earthclinic.com/mobile/beauty/borage-oil-natures-miracle-skin-cure-intro.html

http://mobile.nutraingredients.com/Research/Flax-and-borage-oil-may-boost-skin-health-from-within

Hi Joakim, thanks for your reply!

Excited to hear that it cleared both aspects of your seb derm remarkably quickly, I’m hoping it will have the same effect for me. I ordered it from Apons last week (Monday), and as soon as I started typing this, the postman showed up with a German delivery - so it takes roughly 7 days and costs about £13.50 at the current exchange rate including delivery.

Couple of quick questions regarding the application of the Nystatin:

• Did you wash your face before applying the cream?
  • How many times a day did you apply it and when?
  • How much did you use per application? (Pea sized ball or less?)

Completely agree with your point that it seems to be multi-factor issue that could involve the gut and skin flora. Very interesting that a different environment (Philippines) with sun and possibly different water would help so much; I’ve seen people say that travelling to Thailand cured their Rosacea and various other skin issues. If you weren’t paying attention to diet so much and consuming alcohol, that would suggest that the gut may not play a huge role in the development of your SD. Could the UV light be enough to put the bacteria / fungus on the skin into remission? Could it simply be the water not aggravating the condition and giving your skin time to recover and repopulate with commensal bacteria?

The fact that SD comes back upon returning to normal environments or stopping treatment with creams would suggest that the bacteria or fungi almost become ‘dormant’, and re-activate when the conditions suit them. So it might not be so much that they’re being killed, but that they’re being made inactive? I think Michael linked a video of skin microbiota and dormancy in another post - was extremely interesting and insightful (found it: https://youtu.be/nb98ZLluAGw)

Will start application of the Nystatin either tonight or tomorrow and give feedback on how things progress for better or worse… hopefully better though :slight_smile:

Hey Shane, glad to hear your Nystatin treatment is going so well, amazing news! Just got mine delivered today, so will be trying it out very shortly.

I noticed you apply it twice a day in the morning and evening, do you wash your face or anything with water first? And roughly how much do you apply? I want to put enough on to be effective, but not too much that it suffocates the skin (plus the tube costs a fair bit, want it to last, especially if it works!)

Thanks,
Jay

Exciting news! :slight_smile: I’m looking forward to hearing how it goes!

I usually apply the creme after a shower, which I usually do in the morning. But as I mentioned, I don’t really have any fanatic schedule or routine. Some days, I wont use it at all, and sometimes I will feel a SD-sort of sensation on my skin or notice small signs of irritation or redness and just apply some before bedtime to be proactive - maybe even without a face-wash. One thing I try to do, though, is to complete at least 4 days of treatment if I feel the need, in order to combat resistance. It’s just something that I do, not something I was told to do, but I reason that small doses once in a while might select for the more resistant fungi. Sort of like with other antibiotics, where you have to complete a full treatment, even after the symptoms disappear. But you don’t have to worry about that at first, as you should use it daily for at least 2 weeks, I’d say. By then, if it’s effective for you, I hope that you are almost back to your normal self :slight_smile:

Initially, I might even have used it twice daily. I actually cannot recall. But I do remember my dermatologist saying that you don’t really have to be worried about using “too much” - not like with hydrocortisone. So you can do that, if you feel like it - morning and evening. That doesn’t mean, however, that I applied a face mask of nystatin to my face every night. Just work it into the skin wherever there’s inflammation. I use less than a pea now, but maybe a pea-sized ball is alright in the beginning. You’ll figure it out. But work it in gently, don’t leave a layer on the skin. And then you’ll diminish your consumption down the road. I’m only on my second tube after using it on-and-off for a year now.

I have not had a full-blown flare-up since forever, so I can’t actually tell if it would comeback if I completely discontinued the use of nystatin. The reason I still use it from time to time is just to be proactive and because I already have it. I’ve been very casual with the use during summer without problems. Last spring, however, I had a flare-up, but maybe it wont happen again? Maybe my hormone levels have changed – and with that the composition of my nose-lipids --, maybe I’m not as stressed anymore, maybe by using nystatin I have helped my body reestablish a natural balance that it can now maintain after this initial, helpful push. I will find out, I guess, when I finish this tube. I might go cold-turkey for a while then, and only buy a new one if it returns.

The trip to the Philippines is an example of the horrible self-diagnosis one can perform when dealing with SD. The effect was non-negotiable: The SD disappeared. But I changed SO MANY things. I was living in Beijing at the time, studying, and went on vacation to the Philippines. So my diet changed from Chinese food to Filipino food, my environment changed (sea water, more direct sun-light, less pollution, being outside much more, etc.), I went from stressful work to relaxing holiday and so many other factors. There’s no real conclusion to be drawn from the trip except that something – one or more of those changes – had actually made the SD go into remission. That’s the one thing I gained from that: That it was possible to treat. And that gave me hope and motivation to keep looking for a solution.

End of speculations for now – work’s a-calling :slight_smile:

But good luck with the treatment! I wish you all the best.
Imagine: in a week or two, it might be all gone :wink: Just in time for Christmas!

Thats good Im glad you ordered it. I havent estalbished any kind of routine around it yet. I mean the first time I used it was just directly in the evening time no pre wash. But mostly I apply in the morning then later in the evening perhaps after a shower. I did use a generous amount for the first few days. I wanted to really kill the bacteria. I noticed after maybe 4-5 when I wiped hard after the shower like a film just came away. It was like fresh skin underneath. So so so soft, no roughness, it was like for the first time in 3 years Id seen my skin like this. So now I use a little less but still going twice a day. My forehead has completely cleared up. Either side of my nose is about 90% vanished, no soreness itching or redness, its just like I can still see the scarring of it?? Im hoping that goes too. Let me know how you get on!

Just ordered Nystatin cream from amazon.de.

Restoraderm irritated my skin and made me scratch my face while sleeping. Raw honey made my skin very red and ACV does not seem to work any more. Tried it a few years ago and it worked. But not now.

Biom8 does not irritade my skin but does not improve my flaking or redness. I have used it for five days now.

My SD has been under Control the last years, but this moist long autumn in sweden made it much worse. I also had some coffe and liqueur. So I’m back on eating only healty foods and drinking water.

I Think one big mistake which is easy to make, is to start eating and drinking unhealthy when the skin is gets good.

Have started to take borage oil and flaxseed oil internally.

Found a very intresting video where a doctor talks about the benefits of raw milk. Found it in a forum where someone treated rosacea and seb derm with raw milk internally and topically.
http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_Forum/showthread.php?25593-Raw-Milk

Hakan

Hi Hakan,

Thanks for the update. Very unfortunate that the Biom8 didn’t produce the same results for you as it has for me.
Are you currently using any other products/solutions? And how are you applying it? Do you massage it well into the skin?

Hopefully the Nystatin provides some relief.

Additionally, an oil free probiotic variation of the Biom8 should be available by tomorrow.
It has broader anti-fungal activity and a skin repairing amino acid. Let me know if your interested of trying it out and I can email you a 100% discount code (only shipping). :slight_smile:
The only issue is that I haven’t really been able to test it as my skin has been clear from Biom8 usage…

Best of luck mate.

Michael, yes please send me a 100% discount code on the oil free product.

I’m often thinking that maybe my skin is missing on good organisms to fight the bad ones.

I used biom8 according to the instructions, but it seems as if my skin can’t stand oils at all.

I read somewhere that one reason that sience has not fully solved SD is that there is several types of SD according to a studie. And most studies have not taken this into account. Will try to find this info again.

I have used water based vitamin D topically over the last years. Maybe it was the healthy food that did it. Not sure.

Have a great weekend

Hakan

Hey Joakim, Michael and anyone else interested - just posting my update on Nystatin (sadly it’s not positive as I was hoping).

Tried it from last Monday (9th) until this Tuesday (17th) and didn’t see an improvement of any kind. Redness was still quite full on and if anything, it actually increased the amount of dry skin / flakiness I had around the nasal folds. It also had the strange effect of making the sebum on my nose almost ‘bead’ into little water droplets - like my skin couldn’t absorb it properly. Not sure on the reasoning behind that, but since ceasing application that hasn’t happened.

Could’ve given it a bit more time, but the fact that I saw no improvement didn’t really give me much hope.

There are a couple of older studies I’ve been reading up on that suggest Malassezia counts between healthy subjects and those with SD are very similar, and it’s in fact a sebum composition problem (which could also stem from internal issues or possibly genetics).

I might go down the route of trying to increase LA in the skin whilst reducing oleic acid which seems to be an irritant and a primary cause in skin barrier disruption. Just need to save up and then I’ll try a mix of borage oil and possibly Michael’s topical Biom8.

Hi Hakan,

Not sure if you had a chance to look through the eBook yet. The first chapter deals with the currently proposed reasons for seborrheic dermatitis in significant detail.
The eBook is currently available for purchase on the site for $18.99 and here is the download page:

Seborrheic Dermatitis the Owners Manual eBook – First Edition

Not sure if I’ve set the price too high for just an eBook or perhaps I should even make it free. The only reason I had set it for sale is the research took an immense of time and any resources would help further develop the work.
You opinion would be appreciated in this regard. Check your email for the eBook (will be sending to all other Biom8 users for free as well).

Will update as the Probiotic version is available (planned to be released tomorrow).

All the best.