Nystatin A Potential Seborrheic Dermatitis Treatment

Możesz mi powiedzieć czy dostałeś ten krem? Podlinkuj proszę, tak się składa, że też jestem Maciej z SD. Czekam z niecierpliwością, w ostateczności będę musiał wyskoczyć do Berlina.

Sorry for no reply. Nystatin cream didnt help me. Now I am on diet - no sugar, no milk, no gluten, a lot of meet and vegetables - i want to rebuild my flora and It probably helps. After 5weeks of this diet my seb derm slowly dissapearing.
I will write more after 2-3month when I will be sure that it helps me.

To mathieu - kupiłem w http://www.apons.eu/, ale jeśli chcesz mogę Ci sprzedać mój kream bo mi nie pomógł. Ja mam ŁZS już od 8-9lat i mam zaawansowane stadium i tak jak pisze wyżej musze leczyć się od środka - odbudować florę bakteryjną, zmniejszyć porowatość jelit, wyleczyć zagrzybienie układu pokarmowego. Póki co widzę rezultaty po 5tygodniach.
Stosuję Dietę Prozdrowotną i Miksturę Oczyszczającą z bioslone.pl

Pozdro

Hi Maciej,
Sorry to hear the Nystatin didn’t work for you. However, glad to hear the diet approach is working. :slight_smile:
Since your Polish (of of similar descent as me) and the diet approach is working, I think I have further information that might benefit. I’ve sent you an a direct email with details.

Best of luck.

I’m an RN and have used nystatin successfully on myself and my elderly patients for facial SD. It’s not a cure, but the symptoms are quelled with regular use. I have also had good sucess using a dog shampoo called Oxiderm PS for my scalp SD which I have been continually plagued with since childhood. After using it a few times per week for a few weeks I was free of all the itching redness and scaly dander for over 6 months. I had high hopes that I was cured but now it’s back again and I need another bottle. I found it works better than Nizoral for sure. I’m thinking of experimenting with mixing in nystatin into a shampoo and letting it set on my scalp for a bit before rinsing.

Hi Val,

Thanks for checking in. Really interesting to see a person from the medical field on here. :slight_smile:
Yeah, my scalp SD has been present since about the early teenage years. This was easy to control though, simply by using H&S regularly. However, when it spread to me face things became much harder to control.

If you have the time, it would be interesting to hear your opinion on the approach that worked for me (outlined here and at the last two sections here). Since I started the approach outlined, I haven’t needed to use any anti-fungal shampoos for me scalp even. Not sure why (either lucky with shampoo choice or the l-glutamine did something…). Hope you have the time to look this over and provide some input.

Additionally, I’ve randomly came upon this wash a while back. Have never tried it for my SD, but I ran across it in some medical literature. You seemed like the perfect person to run this by, as it is supposedly used frequently in medical settings. I would imagine the iodine would be quite effective for controlling the bacteria responsible for SD.

All the best.

I feel like I have had SD for many years but ever since I had my first child it has only gotten worse. I was diagnosed by my doctor and I’ve tried the Nizoral shampoo, t-SAL, T-Gel. I’ve also tried no-poo, baking soda and ACV with limited results. I just hate having this gunk on my scalp. It’s the only location I have SD. I also have thick long hair which makes it difficult getting to the scalp to treat it. I am intrigued by this nystatin and I have also heard by controlling the yeast growth internally helps as well. Thanks for having this site! I know I’m not the only one, but it’s not something that is talked about often.

Hi Kelly,

as I’ve mentioned a few times before, I have never applied nystatin to my scalp. I only use it on my face. However, for some reason, it was only when I started using nystatin on my face that I was able to control the dandruff and scaling on my scalp. I don’t know how it works if you only have symptoms on your scalp, and if you can apply it there. A few people above have tried using it on their scalp, but I’m not sure about the results. Give it a try if you haven’t had any luck with other treatments. I haven’t had any adverse effects, so I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try.

Best of luck,
Joakim

Hi Kelly,

Same as Joakim. Once I controlled the SD on my face it cleared on my scalp. However, I found relief using non anti-fungal methods. Part internal and part simple cleanser/wash. Over the past few weeks I’ve been diving deep into medical research into SD. Hopefully sometime soon I can have a post with deep analysis of what SD really is, or at-least my analysis of what modern day research has to offer.

Here the gist of what I have so far. Most of the dermatologists believe it is due to fungus/yeast. Most modern day has research has been trying to find a clear cause-relation, but so far everything has been inconclusive. However, anti-fungals typically have good results by simply removing all bacterial activity on the skin (healthy individuals have no issues to this activity) and thus, the approach typically taken is anti-fungal medication. However, after looking at a wide variety of related inflammatory skin conditions (eczema, psoriasis, rosacea), it seems that there is a close relation to issues of the immune system here and hormonal dis-balances.

Even though I’ve been free of SD for about a year now, I still have a strong urge to really find what happened to my system. Would hate for this thing to come back later in my life.

Sorry for going off a bit (relative to your comment). Lol. Was just pounding through research papers all day and you’re the first comment on my todo list. :slight_smile:

All the best.

Thanks for the information. I guess I’m lucky that it is only seen by me and I have very long, thick hair. I just hate feeling so gunked up. I am trying the Nioxin treatment right now, I shall see how this turns out. I’m keeping the nyastatin at the back of my mind though.

Hi Kelly,

Yeah, it’s an unpleasant feeling for sure.
First time I’ve heard about the Nioxin.
Let me know how it goes.

Best of luck.

Finally! I’ve been dealing with SD for over ten years. I hate it. It’s all over my scalp and behind one ear. Occasionally, I’ve had to use an antibiotic for some reason or other over the years and loved that my SD went away for those precious ten days of using the drug. But the SD always came back.

When I was doing chemo a couple years ago my SD was totally gone for all those months! Hated the chemo - but loved the freedom of a scaly scalp! I’ve just been given Nystatin for yeast under the breast. It didn’t work, but I’m going to use it on my head to see what happens. The antibiotic I’m on is helping under the breast. Go figure.

I have rosacea. Does this all intermix in some way? Yeast? Oily skin? Rosacea?

Hi Barabara,

Sorry to hear that you’ve been battling it for so long.
Yeah, they all seem to be interconnected. However, just yesterday I read that oily skin isn’t really correlated with SD (source).

Here’s something interesting I learnt earlier this week. An infants skin turns over about every two weeks (old skin sloughs off, new skin takes its place). As we get older this process slows down and increases to about 2 months. However, in inflammatory skin disorders like psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis the whole skin eco-system turnover can be as short as only a single week. (Here’s the video)

This kind of lead me to thinking that perhaps a steroid cream provides that extra kick required to allow the skin cells to mature more rapidly yet still healthy. If the cell turnover is still super short and the steroid cream is stopped they go back to not being able to properly mature. Now without properly developing, the skin cells become much more susceptible to invasion by foreign bacteria.

It’s just a theory, but currently looking into it.

All the best. Look forward to any updates.

My son has SD (head, face, chest and back). The creams prescribed by the dermatologist (Ketoconazole creams and shampoo, other steroids creams and oral antibiotics) worked okay based on how well and how often they were used. His flare-ups would be severe to the point of getting an abscess or two in his face requiring the oral medicine.

My grandson’s pediatrician prescribed Nystatin cream and ointment for a diaper rash. I was extremely impressed with how fast and how well it worked. I researched other uses for the Nystatin and was pleased to learn it can be used for SD. Good results were noticeable overnight. Although the ointment is easier to apply to face and scalp, the cream does well on chest and back.

Thank you, Michael, for confirming.

Hello,

This question is more geared toward Joakim. I was wondering, would you mind posting your exact regimen with Nyastin, both when you started out and how much you use it now? Did you use it once a day on your face every night for those two weeks? Did you wash your face before applying it? Did you wash your face in the morning during these two weeks too? How often do you use it now? Do you wash your face still with a cleanser and moisturize since its cleared, or what is your regimen look like now? Basically, id just really love to know your entire regimen, both during the clearance of your SD and since then. Thank you for your time.

Best,

Hello :slight_smile:

So, initially, I started using the nystatin last December. If I recall correctly, most of the symptoms were gone after one week. After two weeks it was completely gone, I’m sure. I’ve continued using it ever since, but I’m not that thorough anymore. Initially, I used it every day, but now that I’ve knocked it out, it seems that I don’t have to use it daily. I got careless during the winter, and I had a flare-up, because I didn’t use it frequently enough. The flare-up was probably also coupled with a stressful time in my life :slight_smile: So I don’t consider myself completely cured, and I still use nystatin to this day. Now that it’s summer, I don’t use it very often. Just whenever I remember, so maybe a few times a week (2, 3, or 4 times). I’m quite sure that the sunlight helps.

I actually use it in the morning, usually after I shower. And that’s pretty much it. I don’t worry about washing my face in the evening before bed, or use any moisturizers or cleansers. I used to moisturize since I thought it could help my dry skin, but I think the dry skin was a symptom of the SD, so now that it has gone, I don’t feel the need.

Other than that I use a shampoo containing zinc pyrithione and climbazole and a conditioner for normal hair, when I shower. Again, for me, it doesn’t seem like I have to be have careful with the planning. I don’t wash my hair daily, I only do it a few times a week, whenever I feel like it, but I never use any other products than those two. Unfortunately, it’s not an international brand, but I’m sure you can find identical products.

Now that it’s summer, I haven’t found any problems using sunscreen in my face. I was a little bit worried that it might be a food-source for the yeast, but so far I haven’t had any problems. Also because I normally only apply sunscreen when I go into the sun, and as I wrote above, I find that the sun helps keep the SD down. So I guess if the sunscreen was in any way a bad thing, it’s counteracted by the intense sun.

I hope that covered the details. If there’s anything that I failed to explain, or something I missed, feel free to comment again and specify :slight_smile:

Hi Renita,

Thanks for checking in. Glad to here the Nystatin working. It’s strange how common Nystatin is.
A short while after Joakim pointed it out through the website, I actually found a tube laying around my house (someone must have given it to me).

Hope everything resolves itself. It’s difficult when younger children go through this as they seem to get hit by it quite hard. Also, since they are still kids it can be hard to find a suitable approach.

It would be interesting to hear how things turn out.
Wish you all the best.

It is actually not that surprising, and not the first time I hear a story like that. Nystatin is by no means an unknown, obscure drug. It is on WHO’s list of most essential medicines, so I guess it’s pretty widely used to treat a number of yeast infections. But maybe the idea of using it to treat SD is relatively new, or at least unconventional. The go-to methods seems to be the hydro-cortisone cream and ketoconazole shampoo - which didn’t really work for me :slight_smile:

But I am happy to hear that you are seeing progress.
All the best to you and your family :slight_smile:

I have been itching for months and couldn’t find anything to help. I read your article and added the nystantin to my daily routine, and guess what I am finally not itching. I see my dermatologist next week, so excited to tell her what I found

Hi Debbie,

Great to hear it worked so well.
All thanks to Joakim for submitting this solution.

Best of luck.
If you have the time, let me know what the derm says.

Hi Debbie,

It makes me so happy to see that people still stumble upon this and find it helpful :slight_smile:

Now I don’t know if you’ve seen the dermatologist before, but the appointments sounds like a good idea. Nystatin is essentially just an anti-fungal, so it doesn’t work against SD exclusively. The reason I mention this is because you only described the itching, and to me there were so many other symptoms, so from that alone it could also be something else. Maybe you already have a diagnosis, but if you don’t then the doctors appointment is a really good idea :wink: and like Michael, I’d love to hear the dermatologist’s response…

I’ve been able to cut my routine down to only using nystatin. From the responses I’ve read in here people have had different degrees of success, and some still have to watch out for certain foods or follow their old cleanse and moisturize routines. But you can experiment with that yourself :slight_smile:

I was also worried that I would build up some sort of tolerance or the SD would become resistant to the drug, but so far it’s still working for me without any ill effects. Actually, for the last month or so I haven’t used it at all, because of all the sun I’m getting during summer. Now, slowly, I can feel it coming back - it’s still pretty much unnoticeable, but I can feel the skin around my nose is less elastic. But after using it for a few days I’ve been able to put it back in check! That’s what I’m most excited about: that I’m finally in control of my face.

Hopefully, you will have a similar experience.
All the best, and good luck at the dermatologist.
Joakim