My Seborrheic Dermatitis Skin Regimen

Hi Pedro,

Yeah, I’ve read about it previously. However, I haven’t tried it.
Here is a snippet that summarizes some of the main research behind it:

Lithium Salts Both lithium succinate and lithium gluconate have demonstrated effectiveness in treating seborrheic dermatitis, probably due to their anti-inflammatory effects. Lithium succinate 8% ointment was investigated twice-daily (for a total of 8 weeks) and showed significantly greater efficacy than placebo (source). It has also been used successfully in HIV patients with facial seborrheic dermatitis (source). Lithium gluconate 8% ointment used twice-daily was tested in a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial in 129 patients (source). After 8 weeks, 29.1% in the lithium group and 3.8% in the placebo group had experienced complete remission. Lithium gluconate 8% ointment used twice-daily was 22% more effective than ketoconazole 2% emulsion used twice-weekly in a randomized study of 288 patients (source).

Right now I’ve strictly stopped using everything except water to wash my face. Additionally, I made my own ointment based on all the research I’ve been doing and have been using it daily for the last 2-2.5 weeks. So far the results have been fantastic and my skin got a lot of color back (compared to when I was using Restoraderm).

Additionally, the ointment is even safe for consumption (100% edible and natural). And this was one of my biggest issues with many other products so far, as I’ve always been a little skeptical to what they might be doing long term.

Would you be interested in giving it a try?
Here is the label:
Biom8 Ointment

All the best.

Congratulations man, it looks awesome and i’m definitely interested in giving a try. Just tell me how.

Restoraderm has helped, but i still have a sort of pinkness around my nose and occasional red pimples. Now i’m noticing that sun may get things worse, pinkness turns to redness and pimples get pretty visible, nevertheless, when i go to the beach it gets so much better that i even forget about seb derm, maybe because of the sea water? I don’t know.

What i surely know is that seb derm is a very frustrating condition, one day everything is fine and it seems to be gone and shortly after that you face the redness again. But i have hope that we gonna find answers in this community. I’m currently interested in the relation between skin issues and metabolic disorders, hope to find something helpful.

You are doing an amazing job Michael, i have learned a lot with SkinDrone and don’t waste anymore time reading inconsistent forums.

All the best!

By the way, the fact that the ointment is even safe for consumption is all we need. I mean, this is the logic that keeps us healthy, we probably wouldn’t be here if we had follow that road long ago. We can no longer rely on industrialized products, most of them are poison.

Hi Pedro,

Yes I heard about it mainly on french forums. However I have not tried it yet. I think Michael has given you precise information about it. It seems to be used here when antifongic are not really effective. However like for other treatments you find people saying it is not working very well for them. So it is not the miracle solution expected by all of us. I’m going to see two doctors this week. I hope it will help. Michael, is BIOM 8 the name of your lotion ? I would be interested to try it and to read your book. Another question which is important to me: after all the readings you went through do you think that one day scientists will find a cure for good for this shitty SD ?

Thank you one more time Michael for all your work !

Update to my last comment: I just checked again “lithioderm” on french forums and people seem to be mainly happy with the result. Maybe I should give it a try. However it is not very new I found people talking about it in 2007

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for the positive feedback. :slight_smile:
Hopefully it’s effective for others apart from just me. Basically, I analyzed and tried different combinations of the Restoraderm ingredients trying to understand how it was helping. Also studied their pattern and basically what I ended up with, is this ointment.

Regarding the sun. Not sure what it was, but it seems like something in the Restoraderm may be adding to the uv sensitivity, as I found this as well. Basically, I had to stay try and stay out of the sun for my skin to remain even toned. However, this ointment I actually use as sun tunning oil and it works great. Skin tone got much darker in the past 2.5-3 weeks.

Yeah, I really think there may be a link to the immune system. But, there are so many factors that come in to play and I believe this is what makes it hard for medical professionals to determine the true cause, as it varies from person to person. In essence, thought it appears that simply something is prevent normal functioning of the immune system, specifically on the oily parts of the skin, and it is not producing everything it needs to protect itself from invaders form colonizing and causing issues.

Thanks again for the kind words.

I’m trying to put all my research into a book. Here are 3 chapters that are ready, but still need lots of proof reading and editing:

Digestion Chapter
Omega Chapter
Skin Chapter

Let me know what you think. All the best mate.
PS. We had a windstorm here so the packaging of the ointment got delayed. Should have some ready to ship early next week.

Hi Antoine,

Yeah, the BIOM8 is something I’ve been working on. No else, but me has tested it yet though. So not sure how effective it will be for everyone. My results have been great though. For about 2.5-3 weeks I’ve only been using it and nothing else. Should have some ready for shipment sometime next week. Will drop you can email once it’s ready.

In terms of a cure, it really depends on how you look at it. SD appears to be more of a symptom than a disease. At it’s most basic level the body is just having issues properly utilizing ingested fatty acids and this results in a faulty skin barrier (skin immunity). As a result of this, the microbiome (bacterial/fungal community) of the skin becomes unbalanced and skin issues appear. The reason it occurs on the face and scalp is that these are the main sebum producing areas, and have distinct bacteria which inhabit them. Hope that makes sense.

The skin chapter of the book I’m currently working on goes into detail on this. (sorry for the formatting, it’s markdown)
Let me know what you think. All the best.

Hi Michael,

I just red the skin chapter of your book. It is really interesting and well explained although sometimes difficult as english is not my mother tongue. I found your theory particulary interesting, you suggest that Malassezia Globosa is more present in skin touched by Seborreic Dermatitis ? And that some microbes in the skin also have a role ? It triggers so many questions, I wish scientists could search harder on this disease.

I searched hard for the last two weeks and I found interesting thing. I also contacted a french scientist who has dermatitis seborreic and used to work for a pharmaceutical lab in Switzerland. He published some study on the seborreic dermatitis and found a way to control it with two products: “massada pain dermatologique” and “massada crème”. I precise that I’m not a scientist nor a doctor and I have not tried these products. The name of this guy is Bernard Sudan. If you read french you can find what he published on seborreic dermatitis and what he thinks of it. Basically he thinks that it is related to some sort of allergy as histamine has been found on seborreic dermatitis skin. He also argues that Lithioderm or sea water is effective to help because salty water restore the conduction between some skin cells (I’m not capable to translate their names nor to explain more into details the mechanism of Sudan’s theory as it is technical and once again I’m not a doctor). But I found his theory interesting because he also mentionned Cetaphil, vineagae or Pytrithione de Zinc saying that these products help to restore conductivty between skin cells.

I am sorry I think it is a bit confused but I want to share this information with you. What he explained makes sense to me and I just hope that we will finally find a cure for this shitty disease.

All the best,

Antoine

Hi Antoine,

From what I’ve seen so far, they have been researching it quite in-depth. It’s appears that the bacterial/fungal communities can be quite hard to comprehend as a whole system. The interrelation between all of it appears to be the reason. Plus only ~10% of the community appears to be in active at a give time (the rest either dead or dormant), making it hard to really understand the full picture; and this just multiplies the difficulty. This is an interesting video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb98ZLluAGw).

Sounds interesting, but I wasn’t able to find too much of his work. Also the skin conductivity concept is new too me. From the majority of my reading, I’m currently at the conclusion that it is directly linked to the sebum composition. And basically the oil rich areas of are skin are unable to properly defend themselves. While, the histamine present appears to simply be a result of the skins reaction to any aggravating microbial/fungal activity in the area.

PS. The ointment is finally ready to go. Just writing more details on how I use it and how it works. So far, I’m the only one that has really used it, so even though it’s been effective for me, its hard to predict how it will work for the majority. If your interested in giving it a try, you can find it at www.biom8.com and use the coupon “skindrone”. It should take $10 off of the order, but shipping from Vancouver, Canada can be expensive.

All the best.

Hi,does anybody know if Lithioderm is available in Australia or can it be imported??
Mark

Hi Michael, congrats to your new ointment. Hope to try it out. Can I purchase it? I’m back to using Elomet this week after my SD and atopic ezcema flare up.

Hi Jamie,
Thanks! Sorry to hear that.
You can find it at www.biom8.com and use the coupon code “skindrone” for $10 off.

All the best.

Hey Michael,

I Just read the Omega and the Skin Chapter, i will read the digestive chapter tomorrow, just before my appointment with the gastroenterologist. After the first reading i can tell that you successfully covered a wide range of aspects that are related to seb derm. The Omega chapter raised my awareness of something that i recently read, an article about the omega 6 omega 3 ratio affirming that for those with “junk” eating habits this ratio is around 50:1. The skin chapter raised many doubts and questions, i would like to have more information, to go further, but i don’t know if going further in your chapter is the case, since when you finished the book the references of the studies are going to be there and i believe that your primary goal is to wright something accessible.

According to what you have written it seems that our sebum is lacking in something that protects it from consumption by foreign bacteria/fungi. That’s why one of the approaches consists in stopping sebum production, that’s why when i apply zinc oxide in the affected areas i wake up with a clear skin, but after some hours some of the redness is back. Zinc oxide is not only anti-fungal, but also dries out skin.

I want to purchase the ointment, but i need to ask a favor, Could you send me as an individual? Not as a company. Brazilian government taxes everything and if you send me as a company a 60% tax over the product may apply. You could send me as a gift with a small letter, saying something like “Hey my friend, this is the new ointment i just made, give it a try.” But of course i’m going to pay for it.

Again, congratulations for all the work, i’m looking forward to test BIOM8. By the way, how did you create this name? What does it mean? Although BIO is quite clear i can’t figure out the whole idea behind BIOM8.

All the best

One thought i forget to mention, would the tingling/itching sensation be a result of the fungi feeding from our sebum? Because normally these sensations are followed by a redness increase .

Hi Antoine,

I would like to know a bit more about the theory of Sudam and also abou “massada pain dermatologique” and “massada crème”, what are these products? What’s the formula? It’s very interesting that he has a reasonable explanation for the fact that some products like Cetaphil and apple cide vinegar work for many SD sufferers.

Could you provide me the link of these studies? I can read a bit of french, studying psychoanalysis made me read many french articles.

All the best

One Last thing, Caprylic acid is a well known natural antifungal, theres a lady in youtube that claims that to keep her SD under control she must take a Caprylic acid before a meal on a daily basis. But what about Decanoic Oil? Why did you ended up with this formula?

I tried to use the coupon to purchase the BIOM8 and it said that “Coupon usage limit has been reached.” It’s my first purchase, how can that be?

Hi Pedro,
Thanks for the positive feedback, glad you found it informative. :slight_smile:
Yeah, the skin chapter didn’t go too deep. However, as you pointed out I was a little afraid to go over board. There will be a seborrheic dermatitis dedicated chapter, which goes a bit further though.

Yeah, from everything I’ve read so far, that is the impression I’m currently under. Most likely it appears to be the fatty acid composition, however it may partially be lack of peptides. Yet again, this 2 may vary from person to person.

No problem regarding the shipping will send it as a gift.

The name was basically a mix up between several words. Bio for the natural aspect, microbiome added the m for the skin health aspect, and the 8 is there because the main component is the caprylic acid which as an 8 carbon fatty acid.

Hopefully it works as well for you as it has for me.

Still don’t have enough information to really explain that tingling/itching sensation. However, it seems to correlate with activity of the sebaceous glands. Not sure if it’s the bacteria activity, or simple the feeling of messed up sebum being secreted. My skin still sometimes get that feeling, but the SD luckily never breaks out and only a bit of redness occurs. However, if you observe healthy people you can typically see the same redness/blushing occur after heavy meals.

Deconoic also goes by the name of capric acid. Capric acid has show posses good anti-fungal potential as well. And specifically it’s very good at fighting candida cultures:

After testing each individually, I found that a combination worked the best for me.
Yeah, I actually consume the stuff too. Not before each meal, but a teaspoon here and there. Perhaps this may be part of why it has been so effective as well. And this is why I’m making the larger quantities available.