My Seborrheic Dermatitis Skin Regimen

Hi Margie,

For the hair it’s likely easier to use a more diluted concentration (8:2 or 7:3). However, I do not have much experience with this. Only made one attempt and it was too difficult to sustain.

The Cetaphil Restoraderm is available on Amazon. Here in Canada it is widely available in stores as well (cheapest at Wal-Mart).

Brewers yeast did not provide any benefit for me.

Minimizing the number of products I was trying to use and removing all additional topicals helped the most. Do not have any experience with henna oil, but anything that has the ability to impact the lipid composition of the skin can potentially aggravate SD.

The crusting is the result of lipid break down by bacteria on the skin. Removal of the crusting isn’t the most productive approach as it can sometimes speed up the cycle. It seems the best results are achieved by either removal of bacteria with a proven topical anti-fungal (nystatin, ketocanazole, pyrithione zinc) or through regulation of sebum production and composition (an extremely mild washing routine and proper nutrition).

When removing the crust it is essential to do it as gently as possible. If you are forceful you may be forcing the bacteria and irritants further into the skin. This leads to more issues.

Garlic was personally of no use to me. Let me know if it helps.

All the best.

Hi Brazillian Guy,

Thanks for the positive comment and glad to hear that the site is helping people. :)

Yeah, it definitely seems that everyones issues are different, but there are some common items between us.

In terms of the scientific method, I do thing it still hold a huge amount of value for us human beings as well. Even if science dones't yet have an answer to SD, we can still use the principles of the scientific method to find and solve our own issues. Hypothesis -> Testing -> Analysis -> Results.

I've been looking at a ton of medical literature lately. I think I've read atleast 70-80% of all the studies you can find regarding SD. The biggest issue seems to be that there is little innovation in most of the studies around SD. Much of the same topics are still being examined as back in the 50s.

The topics are typically related to trying to control the bacteria through topical approaches. The overall consensus is that cortisone creams should not be used for treatment as treatment is typically ongoing and side effects of cortisone use are often unavoidable.

In essence what is happening with our skin is that the sebum being produced is unprotected from consumption by yeasts and bacteria. This allows of proliferation (spreading) of the yeast and an increase in by-products of their feeding process ( The role of sebaceous gland activity and scalp microfloral metabolism in the etiology of seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff). The results of this are the irritation and scale formation that we experience.

It is interesting to note that the yeast and bacteria that cause issue for us are found on the skin of health individual as well. So it seems our sebum is lacking in something that protects it from consumption by foreign bacteria. And everything I've seen points to antimicrobial peptides and antimicrobial fatty acids. Luckily there seems to be more research in this area since about 2008.

Hoping to write a comprehensive post on all this in the near future.

All the best and look forward to any updates. PS. Your English is great and better than many native speakers. :)

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your clear science based explanation

I guess i wrongly addressed my critic to the scientific method. I agree with you, scientific method holds a huge amount of value for us as well. When i wrote my post i was thinking about all the crap i have heard from doctors i recently went. When i asked about alternative methods that i found on the web (honey, apple side vinegar, changing diet, etc…) they were likely to discredit it based on its lack of scientific results. Thinking about theirs answers i realized that they were likely to take in account only what works for everyone, or most people, i mean, treatments that work only for some aren’t worth for further studies, they are then forgotten and, therefore, most doctors don’t even read it. For instance, there is a study about honey masks as a treatment for SD with good results, we can easily find it online (i guess you even mentioned somewhere), nevertheless, no doctor said anything about that when i mentioned honey.

Actually the problem is not with the scientific method, but the commercial logic that guides researches. In this perspective a treatment that works for some is probably not commercially viable and, therefore, not taking into account as “good enough science”. It seems that the scientific value subordinates to commercial value, in other words, “good enough science” is “good enough product”

I’m not saying that commercial value is worthless, it’s not, simply because is the reason why so many treatments are available for so many people. But it’s not absolute and it shouldn’t misguide doctors approach on alternative treatments.

More over, it’s also the easiest way, i mean, if you are a doctor you would rather give a prescription that works for everyone than one that works for some and if you don’t have this prescription for everyone the best is to assume that there is no cure for the case. Treatments that work only for some raise questions, it means more work, more research to find answers that would only help some, a minority. It’s just easier to ignore that minority when you are profiting well enough with the majority. Sadly for us that’s the big picture.

Happily not every doctor is like that and there are some thinking out of the box. But i guess that for sufferers of diseases that are not that commom the best is to follow the “do it yourself” motto. We must read every study about SD to figure out what are the causes, because i’m convinced that it’s not a simple cause and probably individual differences raise different causes for different groups of people. It’s is a tough work, i saved some studies and information from forums that i judge relevant, we could create a “SEB DERM LIBRARY”. In fact, you are already doing it and i highly encourage you to keep up the good work.

By the way, i’m using the Restoraderm for a week now, good results, i woke up today with my face almost 100% cleared, but now, 20:00, it’s a bit red.

Longing to read the near future post about the studies that you have mentioned.

All the best!

Hi Brazilian Guy,

Definitely agree with you, as there does appear to be lot's of doctors who don't really have a deep understanding of SD. For general doctors this makes sense as they need to deal with such a wide variety of conditions and topics. However, I have been a little shocked with the lack of detailed understanding dermatologists have in this regard. I wish they provided more information as to what is really going on with the skin, then simply relying on medical textbooks which are lacking any concrete information regarding SD.

It becomes somewhat hard for people to spend so much time and money on something so mysterious as SD without any social gain. Thus, commercially viable solutions to the issue will always make it to the top. For example, doctors typically prescribe ulcer treatment drugs for ulcers (examples). However, it has long been documented that fresh cabbage juice is powerful enough to heal practically all ulcers (source). And this is one of the most perfect examples for commercial interests taking precedence over effective non-commercial approaches.

I've actually got quite a large library of SD related research papers and associated topics. Will try to find a way to share this. However, I'm not sure what the legal aspects of sharing scientific papers is (as they cost money). Hopefully there is a way around this.

Will update you when I have more concrete information. However, if you like for now I would highly recommend trying fresh cabbage juice and drastically increasing consumption of cruciferous vegetables. As they have been documented to increase peptide production, improve cell health, contain potent anti-inflammatory ability, natural source of l-glutamine (cabbage juice specifically) and many other benefits.

Also I'm thinking of buying a good variety of different products that have worked for others and putting together a sample pack. Perhaps this can help people find the right product for their skin. What do you think of this idea?

All the best and hope things keep improving. Glad to hear the Restoraderm is helping.

Hey Michael,
Is this still your current routine and also are you still SD free? (Hopefully)?

Today I’ve brought some products to hopefully clear up my SD,

A bit of background on it is that I’ve had it for around 8 long months and being a 17 year old in year 12 it can take its toll but my SD is weird because I’ve never actually had any of the redness symptons all I get is the yellow greasy skin look.

I’m going to start using L glutamine in the morning 1 teaspoon
Range of tablets, eg vitamin C, K2
Have been gluten free since 7 months ago but going to try dairy free as well now
Trying to reduce the amount of sugar intake
Drink 1 tea spoon of ACV
And hopefully not applying anything to the skin and see if I see any reactions in the next 2 weeks,
Have you got any tips or suggestions?

Thanks Connor

BTW it’s amazing that people witu the condition are able to find out research and information from websites like this. So thank you for creating this website it has benefited me a lot.

Hey Michael,

Good to know about cruciferous vegetables, this a motivation to keep eating lots of broccoli as i already do. I read somewhere that some vegetables, such as spinach, were bad for SD, but due to poor information about it i found this really controversial and just ignored it. Do you know something about vegetables that are contraindicated for SD sufferers? About the cabbage juice, i didn’t know that, but makes a lot of sense, i was doing some research about sauerkraut and its benefits to gut issues, have you ever tried?

I didn’t mention, but i’m facing some weird symptoms since last year and SD came along with them. I’m going to share a bit of my history, i spent last year taking accutane and eating lots of junk, this year was also very stressful - due to professional problems and a disease that is affecting my mother and has bad prognosis. I think the symptoms are related to either stress or accutane/bad food side effects, or (most likely) all of it.

Since march i have developed joint pain (specially finger joints), an itchy throat, cold sores inside the mouth, genital candidiasis and - in the same weekend that candidiasis appeared - SD came along. I also noticed that my sinus area, specially nose, would get inflamed pretty easy, along with my throat that was constantly itching.

After all that i got pretty worried, specially after reading about candidiasis, SD and it’s relation to AIDS. I haven’t engaged in risky sexual intercourse for a long time and the HIV test was negative. Solving that i went to many insurance covered doctors that prescribed usual blood tests - that came normal - and tests for many autoimmune diseases - that came negative. Then i decided that i wasn’t going to loose anymore time with these ordinary doctors.

I remembered that a school friend, after many disappointments, went to a well respected General practitioner that successfully treated him after diagnosing a rare syndrome. I schedule an appointment with this doctor, insurances don’t him and It was expensive, but worth it. The appointment took about an hour, i showed all the recent tests and said everything i could remember. He was really interested in all health problems i ever had and based on my symptoms and my vitamin d low levels he guessed that i was maybe suffering from a magnesium deficiency. In the end he prescribed me a detailed immunological test and some magnesium chloride supplement.

For some time now i have been eating really healthy and found partial relief in some symptoms, but after taking magnesium for 1 week the joint pain got almost nonexistent and i didn’t face inflammation issues easy as before. After this week My Cd4, Cd8, Cd 19 (and another bunch of cds that i can’t recall) test came back and i went to another appointment. The result was that my immune system is really out of balance, the GP said that based on its current configuration it seems that it’s really a magnesium deficiency which cause we are investigating.

Well, my magnesium supplement is helping me with my joint pain and chronic inflamation, but, till now, does nothing for my SD (which is also a sort of chronic inflammation?) Anyway, since SD is a symptom of immune deficiency and many SD sufferers usually have other issues related to immune deficiencies i thing this test is worth it. I’m obsessed to balance my immune system, probably this will solve my SD. I just finished a liver flush and plan to start glutamine tomorrow. I also started taking pau d’arco tea, which is known as a great plant for gut issues and fungal infections. It seems to be a long battle, i see some improvements, but the goal is getting back on track,how it used to be.

The sample pack idea is great, most SD products/approaches aren’t for everyone, but if one tries a bunch of them one is very likely to get good results from at least a few.

About the library, you could share all the free stuff and point the papers that requires payment for whom might be interest. If one is interest one goes to the website and pays for it.

Another maybe interesting thing would be to develop a questionnaire with SD related questions. Example: How was your diet before SD? Did you take many antibiotics? Stressful life when SD came? Everyone that visit this page could contribute and increase our knowledge. What you think about that?

Al the best.

Also does gluten free bread contain any yeast? And what foods contain yeast? Thanks

Hey Connor,

The routine was working great for about a year. About a month ago it started being not as effective, but this was mainly due to my lack of consistency. Additionally, I've been doing lots of research again to really delve deep into the issue. Particularly, I was after why the routine was working and what other factors played a role. Currently, I've actually stopped washing my face and use the Restoraderm. Instead I have been testing my own concoction and only washing my face with water.

Also, I've slowly started bringing a bit of dairy back. In terms of gluten, I personally still think that it is not really an issue for SD. However, everyone is different.

Stopped supplementing with l-glutamine, but still have some left. Instead, I've replaced it with fresh cabbage juice (intermittently) which is an excellent whole food source of l-glutamine and other healing agents. Some more of the stuff I have been testing can be found here. Overall this strategy is focused on jump starting the body. Unfortunately I haven't covered everything in full detail there, but I've been working on a book with all the details.

Thanks for the positive comment. Yeah, the internet can be both great and punishing at the same time. There's so much information out there that it can be overwhelming. This website was a means of trying to organize and make sense of it all. :)

Will update you once the book is ready. Here is a preview of the chapters:

• Introduction
  • What is Seborrheic Dermatitis
  • Current Medical Understanding
  • Holistic Explanations for Seborrheic Dermatitis
  • Your Immune System
  • Your Digestion
  • The Omegas and Your Health
  • Supplements to Know
  • Reducing Topical Yeast and Bacteria
  • Dysbiosis or Synbiosis
  • Yeast and Fungus
  • Exercise, Sleep and Your Health
  • Understanding Stress
  • Immunotherapy and Vaccination
  • Understanding the Skin
  • Finding the Right Products
  • Long Term Management

Some gluten free bread does contain yeast, however you can always check the ingredients list. However, I don't think that total avoidance is the path to success. Especially long term, instead I think focus must be shifted on the enhancement.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Michael

Thank you very much for having created this website. I have a SD since last May and I’m really stressed and depressed about it. I’m french so sorry for my english. Could you give me more information about Restoraderm ? It is a moisturer or a cream that washes the face ? Is it this one http://www.beaute-test.com/nettoyant_hydratant_-_restoraderm_cetaphil.php ?

One more thing: have you heard anything on thermal waters and if it can help us ?

Once again thank you for what you are doing !

Ive been reading all these stories on here and thought I’d share my story, I’m 46 and have been dealing with SD since my early 20’s…I had acne as a teenager so basically since I’ve been 13-14 I’ve had skin issues. I’ve spent 1000’s on dermatologists and lotions,potions the lot, I’ve been to acupuncturist,herbalists,naturopaths,dieticians,Chinese doctors,I’ve been to everybody who claim that they can help but it keeps coming and going,no patterns either,sun is good sun is bad,cold is good cold is bad…can’t put my finger on anything that triggers it,I’ve tried diets,cleanses,yoga,I exercise,I meditate,i can be stressed and nothing triggers it,I’ve given up alcohol and it’s come back,I’ve drank hard and been clear skinned…no triggers,it just comes and goes,some creams work sometimes,I’ve used every face wash and shampoo known to man,I only have it on my face,my scalp is good,i do think it’s gotta do with the production of the malessia that’s produced in the skin,I think if there is some kind of drug that stops the production or reduces the severity of it we would be onto something…thanks for reading and keep the ideas coming,I’m still open to finding a “cure”
Mark

i

Hi Michael,I have tried the water fast and done some serious damage to my entire system,and broke out in the most severe rashes,apparently it’s all the gunk coming out of your system but I also lost 10 kg which I didn’t want to lose,I basically looked terrible…id never do another cleanse…
Mark

The book looks like a good read, would buy it for sure!
Is Lactose cheese, lactose milk, lactose yoghurt is all okay to have?

I honestly believe with all the improvements in medical treatments today that there must be a “cure” for SD but the big pharmaceutical companies around the world hide it so they can make money on “treatments”…it all makes sense. I also believe that diet and what you put into your body has no bearing on the malessia yeast production, i have been eating healthy for years with regular exercise and it still comes and goes, what works for one person doesnt always work for the next, dont be fooled by it all, when you have been dealing with it for nearly 30 years and have tried everything I know what Im talking about.
Mark

Hi Antoine,

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hear that. It can be quite an annoying condition.
Yeah, that is the face wash I’ve been using. Additionally, I would follow up with the moisturiser (http://www.beaute-test.com/emulsion_hydratante_-_restoraderm_cetaphil.php). Ultimately I believe the moisturiser played a bigger role than the wash, however it is really hard to say as I used both.

As for thermal waters, I’m guessing this is the same as hot springs. Overall they might have some sort of benefit, however I personally doubt that hot springs alone can present a complete cure. I’ve been currently writing a book trying to really understand the skin and SD. Based on some of this research I believe that people with SD simply have issues producing certain antimicrobial compounds required for the control of the fungi which causes the SD. Additionally, certain factors such as overall immunity and the bacterial make-up of ones individual skin both play significant roles in this.

Lately, I’ve completely stopped washing my face and have started using a product I have created for myself based on some of my research (and testing of different combination of the ingredients found in the Restoraderm products). Overall happy with the results so far, but need a few more weeks to see how things turn out.

Hopefully that helps and I’ll update once the book is ready. Take care.

Hi Mark,

Was very surprised to see you back. I’ve been going hard lately on researching this thing. So, far I’ve read and analysed about 200 medical papers around SD. Overall, I feel fairly close to understanding how it works and the process involved in it’s progress.

Regarding the dietary aspect, this will depend on the initial source of the problem. For some people a diet change may actually fully resolve the issue. However, for the most part I believe a multi-faceted approach is required and for this and I think it’s important for people to understand the pathogenesis of SD (and skin conditions in general).

The book is about 70% ready and will update once it’s complete (hoping to finish in the next month or so).

Additionally, I’ve been busy making a lotion based on everything I’ve learned so far. Have stopped washing my face for about a week now and have just used the lotion. So far happy with the results, but more time is required to see how it turns out. Will hopefully have some samples soon for the community to test out as well.

Hope something may help mate.

Hi Mark,

Yeah, there was another reader who had similar results from the water fast. However, I have mixed feelings regarding the theory that it is all the gunk coming out of system. There are so many aspects that could be at play that the one fits all approach is likely flawed (yet it may also be applicable…).

For example, perhaps by fasting you simply restricted the system of the antimicrobial peptides and oils it needs to defend the glands which they are secreted from and this lead to further infiltration by the microbes present on your skin…

There are just so many things that could be occurring that it would be hard to really make any assumptions without a deep understanding of your personal history/circumstances.

All the best.

Hi Connor,

It’s hard to generalize for everyone. For some it may be okay, while for others it may cause issues.

In my opinion, the best approach is to keep start a diary and record any corresponding changes. However, this was actually quite hard for me to do.

Hope that helps.

Hey Brazilian Guy,

Regarding the spinach it has a significant amount of oxalates and biologically active amines. These require a fairly stable a strong digestive system to process and neutralize. Thus, lots of the information on the internet recommends removing it from the diet.

Have tried sauerkraut before. Didn’t seem to show any direct results. The cabbage juice can sometimes almost give me a head-rush (particularly if the cabbage is extra pungent). The only issue that I have seen regarding sauerkraut it contains a significant amount of histamine (especially well aged) and this may also put stress on the digestive process. But in the end, there is so much overlapping research that can become quite confusing. Best thing seems to be to test it out and see how it effects you.

Yeah, all of these things can definitely have an impact as these things effect overall immunity. If your system is weak, the bacteria causing the SD basically get proliferate with less resistance.

From what you indicated, it seems that you may simply have some type of systemic infection. In this case, the best course of action would be to see a gastroenterologist and have your insides inspected. This way you may pin-point the exact reason for your issues. Systemic infection -> weak immune system -> skin issues. Aids is just another thing that will cause intense immuno-suppression and thus SD results.

In terms of the magnesium deficiency, this can either be the cause of the other issues or a result of them. Will all the test you have had done, I’m sure that you’ll definitely uncover your issue. Luckily you have found a good doctor. :slight_smile:

As for the pau d’arco tea, it didn’t seem to do anything for me. Let me know how it goes.

In terms of the research stuff, I’ll upload it some time this week and send you a link. :slight_smile:

The questionnaire is also a really good idea and have actually thought of this before. However, I was initially unsure with how much people will participate. However, now that the site has been growing it is time to go back to this idea.

Hope that helps and let me know if I missed anything. In summary, keep working with the doctor, if he can pinpoint the main issue I really think your SD will disappear.

Thank you for being so supportive. In fact, having magnesium deficiency raise the question: “Why do i have magnesium deficiency?” Probably i’m not absorbing enough magnesium because something is wrong with my GI tract. I’m looking forward to solve all my health issues, specially SD. On Monday i went to a otolaryngologist (ear-nose-throat doctor) and after a throat videoscopy he diagnosed the probable cause of my itchy throat, acid reflux (GERD), he prescribed some more texts to be sure, but he also thinks that the best course of action would be to see a gastroenterologist. I already schedule an appointment.

Meanwhile, i will keep trying things, i know that my SD is much better, but i can’t point why. Good diet? Natural Anti-fungals such as pau d’arco and coconut oil? Restoraderm? Problem they all contribute, the same goes for SD, probably the cause is complex, that is to say, multifactorial.

Hopefully i’ll be abbe to solve all the issues and solve SD along. Hopefully all of us. We must keep record of what we are doing and share our histories, our success will help others.

I’ll write again after my appointment with the gastroenterologist.

All the best!

hi Michael,very interesting that you have stopped washing your face and just use lotion,please let us know what lotion you use,I’ve stopped washing my face in the morning and stopped using restoraderm as I found it non responsive,I’m just using selsun shampoo on my face that has cleared me up of redness,I have also booked into see a gastroenterologist next month,I will report back after I see him,think my alcohol consumption a week ago contributed to my recent outbreak,hard to know really. Great to read these posts.