My Seborrheic Dermatitis Skin Regimen 2.0

Hi Kellie,

There is a significant difference between plant based omega 3s and fish based omega 3s.
Here is the relevant snippet out of the Omega chapter from the book I’m working on:

Falling under the classification omega-3s are a large number of specific fatty acids, which we obtain from many different sources.

The most researched of theses are DHA and EPA. These omega-3 fatty acids can be obtained through diet (mainly from seafood) or synthesized within the body from ALA (alpha-linolenic acid - another omega-3). However, the conversion of ALA to to DHA and EPA is not very efficient (conversion efficiency is below 5%). Additionally, the process used for conversion of ALA directly competes with the breakdown of omega-6 fatty acids. As a result, an abundance of omega-6 fatty acids further decreases the efficiency for humans to obtain needed EPA and DHA (from ALA) declines further. Luckily, DHA and EPA can be obtained directly through diet.

Fish and marine products are the best source of DHA and EPA. However, there is significant variant among different fish species. For example, while Pacific Herring can have 1.06g of EPA and 0.75g of DHA per 3 ounce serving, Pacific Cod only has 0.09g of EPA and 0.15 of DHA for the same 3 ounce portion. As a result, some marine products are much better than others for obtaining these fatty acids.

ALA is widely available from plant sources. The most popular of these appears to be Flax Seeds, which contain roughly 50% of its oil composition in the form of ALA. As a result, a single tablespoon of ground flax seed contains about 1600 mg of ALA. At the 5% efficiency level mentioned above, this can be converted to about 80 mg of DHA and EPA, which is actually quite unimpressive. However, the pure oil is a little better as a single tablespoon contains 8.5g of ALA (425 mg ALA and EPA). Some other sources of ALA include:

• Walnuts (1 ounce = 2.6 ALA)
  • Canola Oil (1 tablespoon = 1.2 ALA)
  • Mustard Oil (1 tablespoon = 0.8 ALA)

However, because these plant sources of omega-3 always contain some quantity of omega-6, the final amount of obtained DHA and EPA is unclear.

The full chapter draft can be found here.
Hope that helps and all the best.

Hi Jamie,

My own approach with it is really simple. Cleanse with slightly cold water and apply Biom8 a few minutes later as a moisturizer.
However, I guess it can be used as a sort of cleanser and washed off with water after it’s usage. Would love to hear your experience with this approach.

What type of Vitamin C serum are you using (ingredients or direct product link)? The composition would determine the order.

The oil free formula will actually be arriving today.
Planning to initially send it out a discounted price in a package with the condition oil (the conditioning oil has had a really impressive success rate, while the oil free formula is brand new).
Can hopefully setup the order page sometime this evening.

When used together the oil free formula would be applied prior to the conditioning oil.
The oil free formula contains ingredients I wanted to originally add to the conditioning oil, but bonding agents and preservatives would have been required.
For this reason the formulas were separated. When used together they should compliment each other (increasing anti-fungal activity and improving skin repair rate).

Hope that helps.

Hi Hakan,

Thanks for the link.

Personally stay away from Curezone as it has provided lot’s of stress and confusion for me in the past.
Having a narrow focus regarding the skin condition has shown to provide little results. A more compounded approach to understanding the unique circumstances of your own health appears to be the key to long term treatment.

Sugar and alcohol are unhealthy in general, but a healthy immune system should have no issues with them.
Too much can degrade the immune system though.

PS. Have tried supplementing with borage, hemp seed flax seed oils. This didn’t produce any results for me.

All the best.

Hi Hakan,

Thanks for the link.

Personally stay away from Curezone as it has provided lot’s of stress and confusion for me in the past.
Having a narrow focus regarding the skin condition has shown to provide little results. A more compounded approach to understanding the unique circumstances of your own health appears to be the key to long term treatment.

Sugar and alcohol are unhealthy in general, but a healthy immune system should have no issues with them.

PS. Have tried supplementing with borage, hemp seed flax seed oils. This didn’t produce any results for me.

All the best.

Hi Donna,
Thanks for addressing the question. :slight_smile: Personally lack any experience with it’s use alongside make-up…
But, this is the exact approach I would have suggested (apply Biom8, allow to absorb, and apply makeup over-top).

Glad to hear your results continue as well!
All the best.

Hi Nic,

From everything I’ve learnt so far the hair loss is basically the result of fungus invading the hair follicles. Once the fungal activity is controlled the hair loss issues appear to resolve themselves.
If your own hair loss issues are associated with a different cause, results may be different.

When I had issues with SD on my eye-brows I experience hair loss as well. Controlling the SD would always stop/reverse the hair loss.
Currently with Biom8, my eyebrows are very health and have not had any issues since starting it’s usage.

Anything is possible as living organism (including fungus) have the ability to mutate and adapt.
Hopefully it works indefinitely.

For long term usage, I personally like it very much so I don’t have any issues with this.
Also, since I made it myself and know the origin of the ingredients I’ve never really second-guessed it’s usage.
Many of my friends who don’t even have SD have been asking for it as well. My skin looks really healthy and vibrant, so people have been naturally asking me what I use.

Hope that helps and best of luck with the Biom8. Hopefully your results are similar to mine.
Look forward to any updates.

Yes I do use a concealer but only in the areas I don’t get Seb Derm. It’s not oil free. Max Factor Pan Stick which I use on my eye lids, as a base for my powder eyeshadow, and as a base for my lipstick (little tricks a makeup artist told me which stop eyeshadow from going into the creases and helps my lipstick stay put). I also apply a little under my eyes for occasional dark rings using the dab, dab application technique :slight_smile: For taking my makeup off I wet my clean hands and put a little BIOM8 on them then wipe that over my face. I then get some baby wipes (fragrance free and rinsed under water for good measure to remove anything which could possible irritate my skin then remove my makeup with them. I repeat the process, rince my face with cool water then apply a tiny bit of BIOM8 massaging in well as per Michaels instructions. It all sounds like a bit to do, but it really doesn’t take long at all. I use baby wipes because they are convenient and saves washing face washers which breed bacteria anyway. I don’t use a heavy duty mascara so I don’t know if my makeup removing technique would work with that. Hope this helps!

Hi Michael,

The Vit C serum that I am using is Skinceuticals CE Ferulic serum. This is the only product I apply in the morning besides sunscreen. I do not use a cleanser in the morning or moisturizer as the ingredients may aggravate my SD. I have tried Cetaphil Restoraderm Wash 3 months ago as my cleanser but my SD reacted badly to it. Way back in March this year I was doing the honey treatment with good results but the improvement was not significant, eventually my SD returned. Even Elomet could not calm down the redness.

This is my current morning routine. I wet a terry towel with water; cold, warm or hot, I am inconsistent. Wring out the wet towel and wipe on my face a few times. Less than 1 min when my face is almost dry, I apply Skinceuticals CE Ferulic. I wait about 10 min for the serum to dry, followed by sunscreen. I am using La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL SPF 50+.

Night time I cleanse with Ceradan Wash, which is given by my dermatologist. I use a night time cleanser as I need to remove the sunscreen effectively. I have tried Rhassoul clay, it was really great but I am not sure if it could cleanse off the sunscreen so I am stuck with Ceradan. I hope to ditch Ceradan and use Biom8 so my concern is whether it could remove sunscreen and/or makeup. My night time routine is just cleansing, no moisturizers or any facial products.

I didn’t know that the oil free formula and conditioning oil are complimentary, I always assumed it is one or the other. I would like to get both and start with only the conditioning oil first to test out for one month, then add the oil free formula subsequently. What do you think?

Hi Michael,

Have just ordered your BIOM8 as well as I figured it’s worth a shot!

My case of Seb Derm is mostly a cosmetic concern about the constant redness on the sides of my nose and (albeit to a much lesser extent) the crease midway between my mouth and chin. I’m fortunate that flakiness and itchiness have only been minor problems that I don’t experience often in these areas, but the lingering redness has by and large been the most frustrating aspect that I can’t seem to resolve. For the past couple years I haven’t remembered a single moment where there hasn’t been a fair amount of nasolabial redness (and I made the common mistake of initially attributing it to dryness and over-moisturising those areas, which either didn’t work or exacerbated it).

I also suffer from dandruff in the scalp, sideburns, moustache, and beard but I’ve had a lot of success controlling that with rotating through a couple medicated anti-dandruff shampoos. That said, I’d much prefer to use something to treat my facial hair dandruff that is kinder to my face’s skin than a shampoo (which obviously is designed for use on the scalp, not the face). One of the things that appeals to me about BIOM8 oil is that since it’d have an oily consistency it ought to be a good candidate for that, compared to anti-fungal creams whose texture makes it impractical to treat the beard and moustache.

I have a couple questions:

1.) Have you been using BIOM8 oil after cleansing both morning and night, or just once a day?

2.) As I mentioned, redness is my primary concern, far more than any flakiness or itchiness. Has this oil had a lot of success treating that in particular?

Thanks!

Best regards from the UK,

Ian

Hi Jamie,

Sorry for the delay. Just looked at the Vitamin C serum. Personally would apply the Biom8 after the serum, this should be fine. The sunscreen, however may be a little trickier, but I would use it after the Biom8 has had time to absorb. Are you using the sunscreen daily for any specific reason?

In terms of night time routine, it’s very interesting that you don’t use any moisturizers at this time. For me it’s been the most optimal time for anything I’ve used as by the morning the skin has had time to absorb everything and return to a more neutral matte look.

Clay was horrible for me. Tried a bunch of different ones and they always sucked the moisture right out and left my skin extra flaky/dry.

In terms of make-up/sunscreen removal I can’t really provide much info, as I all I use is Biom8 and water. Absolutely nothing else for more then 3 months now. Even for shaving I use the Andalou shampoo in place of shaving cream and Biom8 instead of after shave.:slight_smile:
Donna seems to have had good success with using the Biom8 to remove makeup though. So you may want to check her previous comments or perhaps ask her directly.

Hope that helps and I’ve answered everything.
Look forward to any updates and will let you know as soon as the Probiotic version is ready (hopefully tomorrow or Saturday).

All the best!

Hi Ian.

Sorry for the delay in response.
Thanks for the update and hope you have similar results to mine.

As your describe your SD, it sounds pretty much the same as mine was. But I had lots of issues with flakes on the eyebrows, nose, ears and at times the forehead.
The Biom8 has definitely been much kinder to my skin then anything I’ve used (even the Restoraderm) as it doesn’t seem to strip anything. Instead it just seems to absorb right into the skin and stabilize everything.
Many of my friends (without) SD have even started using Biom8 and the thing I hear repeatedly is how well is absorbs. Plus it’s not a thick oil so it should be great for the beard.

Regarding your questions:

1. Use the Biom8 on a regular basis before bed, but not 100% consistency. Sometimes I can use it twice a day or even 3 times. It really depends on what I’m doing that day. But basically any time I sweat heavy or feel like rinsing my face, I apply Biom8 after (gym, pool, getting dirty, etc).
  2. For me redness hasn’t been a problem since I’ve started using Biom8. Others have reported good results for Rosacea and other similar conditions as well. So I think it should be beneficial.

Let me know if I’ve missed anything and look forward to any updates.
Hope it works out for you and best of luck!

Hi Michael, thank you for your amazing effort. I am truly appreciative of all the research you’ve done.

In terms of application of the BIOM8, how much do you have to massage it in as I’ve found it hard in the past to massage anything into my eyebrows, especially as they are delicate & fall out easily. It always seems so hard to get rid of flakes by the follicles.

I’ve recently been to a doctor after having a food intolerance test and other than avoiding the foods I’m intolerant to I’ve been told to go on a “low-fodmap” diet as well as been given nystatin for oral consumption, L-glutamine, digestive enzymes and probiotics. It turns out I’m intolerant to dairy and eggs which I never noticed in the slightest before. This would explain why I always seem to be fighting the SD because I ate alot of eggs. I would advise anyone to get a food intolerance test and consultation with a doctor because you won’t really know what you’re intolerant to. Most of what was discussed with the doctor I already knew and partly thanks to Michael and this website however this “low-fodmap” diet is new to me and I’ve been on it for a few days. I haven’t used anything topically and haven’t felt any tingling or slight itches when the SD is in its development stages which is good. The doctor told me that this worked beautifully with a couple other patients and explained to me their situations too as I’m slightly doubtful having heard so many different things and been prescribed steroids etc… Get a test if you can afford it and if not maybe just try the diet. Good luck people :slight_smile:

Got my BIOM8 oil today. Thanks, Michael!

For those who suffer from seborrheic dermatitis with concomitant acne (as I am), the BIOM8 oil contains Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil which is a lightweight oil with a high amount of linoleic acid. Studies have shown that oils with greater percentages of linoleic acid are beneficial for acne-prone skin. Sebum composition in acne-prone skin has been found to have a higher percentage of oleic acid and is deficient in linoleic acid compared to the sebum composition in healthy skin.

References:

So it should help both conditions, which is important because some treatments of seborrheic dermatitis and acne can conflict.

Will let you know if I see improvements over the coming weeks.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. For the Biom8 you just have to massage it light into the skin. For the delicate areas, you can go a little easier while the skin heals and recovers.
One user reported using tweezers to really get the Biom8 into the skin in the eyebrows. Here is the method he provided by email:

I came up with an interesting way to make sure everything gets covered. I found one of those small nail scissors in the house where each side has a flat, wide surface - I clean it, put some of the oil on one side, gently place behind it the hairs (using the flat part) to get to the roots & it spread it underneath. Then I can use my finger.

Hope that helps.
Best of luck!

Hi Heath,

Thanks for the update. Definitely a good idea to get proper testing done.
What type of medical professional was this and do you know what the test was called?
Perhaps will write a more detailed post discussing this diet and how to best get tested.

Personally tried this diet before, thought it helped a little, but wasn’t really a long term thing for me. Currently very flexible/open with my diet and skin remains clear.

Thanks again.
All the best.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the update and the studies. Yeah, from the research that went into the formulation I also felt the Biom8 would actually be beneficial for acne.

However, I never wanted to give a direct answer to people as I don’t have too much personal experience with acne.
The closest thing I had was small papules which would arise from using some creams/lotions. Haven’t had anything like this from the Biom8.

Look forward to any updates.
All the best.

The low-fodmap is definitely different and difficult and I haven’t stuck to it 100% yet so I’m not entirely sure of the effects but the elimination of other foods I’m intolerant to seem to have made so much of a difference I’m only left with scarring to heal without using anything topically for the first time since I got this ailment. I’d just like to say that even though i was applying things topically, the SD always seemed to be underlying or resurfacing and I told myself it was ok and that I could keep going on using whatever product but the fact is that SD builds tolerances to whatever you’re applying to it and subconciously I knew all this but I didn’t want to accept it because that would mean I was stuck with SD forever but I’ve recently found out that that is not true!
The blood test is call an IgG blood test testing the antibodies in the blood (by FoodPrint® testing 200+ foods). The clinic was JTS medical clinic in Dubai specializing in a wide range of medical fields, I carefully picked this certain clinic after asking them and a few others about the relationship between dermatitis and food intolerances and apparently there’s a recognized connection (even mentioned in the FoodPrint® brochure) that I guess a lot of Dermatologist aren’t aware of.
I seriously would suggest to anyone who is suffering with moderate to severe cases of SD and it’s affecting them daily to go and get a food intolerance test and follow the instruction before and after… I’ve done elimination diets in the past and never found out about the many of foods I was intolerant to…
So to be brutally honest you can either get a food intolerance test done or keep applying products or do nothing… You’re in control of your SD and your S. Destiny :slight_smile:
(PS I too have spent a couple years doing research + this site is the best)

Hi Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I am using CE Ferulic serum for protection against photoaging, whilst sunscreen is for prevention of pigmentation. Perhaps I was bought into the concept of sun protection as an essential part of skin care and both antioxidant and sunscreen go hand in hand. :slight_smile:

I am grateful for Donna’s comments. I found the comments by the users and the community so helpful. It helps SDers fight this “disease” together.

I am waiting for the oil free formula (probiotic repair spray). I wanted to order the 200ml skin conditioning oil but is currently only available on backorder. 200ml comes with refill top, I prefer pump. Just a feedback. I am sure the pump for 100ml and refill top for 200ml are made for a purpose. If you could let me know when the oil free formula (probiotic repair spray) is coming, I could plan when to order. Otherwise I will just order the skin conditioning oil in 100ml.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hi all,

Have anyone tried to get a free sample from http://seborrhex.co.uk/ or http://seborrhex.com/ ?

I have tryed but has not received any mail from the to confirm this. I have not received any answers from them what so ever.

Their Twitter and Facebook sites have not been updated since august 2015.

If what they say about their product is true it’s amazing.

Håkan