7 Tips to Finding Moisturizer That Works for Seborrheic Dermatitis

I started having skin problems for a while when I found out that I have seborrheic dermatitis. It helps to know what I should be looking for in lotions that can treat it. Looking for lotions that have ingredients like aloe and calendula is good to know. I’ll check for those ingredients while I’m shopping for a new lotion.

Michael,

Question regarding what you’ve read about raw honey. I read the abstract of the study you’ve referenced, but was wondering if you have a copy of the entire article from the medical journal. I’m curious when it was said of those that continued (shows success with initial treatment) with the longer term treatment that all had no recurrence, was that only during the treatment or did no recurrence happen post the 6 month of longer term treatment.

I’ve also read of others that have had success using oil of oregano (topically) and was curious if you came across any information regarding it as a possible treatment.

Thanks

What brand of l glutamine are you using? Been using practically anything to get rid of my sd for almost 20 yrs now… For the past 2 days been using antidandruff shampoo and it helps but i think need to use moisturizer… I will try cetaphil for the past 3 months been using argan and rosehip oils it works for sometime but i think it really worsen my condition as it feeds the yeast…

Do you need to shampoo after the honey and water solution?

Hi there, just wondering if the Cetaphil restoaderm is safe to be used on the face? Or is it only for the body?

Thanks! Xx

I have SD really bad, hair, eyebrows, face, ears, and a little on the arm and neck. What’s causing this is an overgrowth of yeast I guess, and it’s important to consider changing your diet. After eliminating certain foods and drinking lots of water within 3-5 days you will see a change. You can buy as many creams and try as many remedies but you must first treat what’s on the inside (the root). When I eat healthy, the flakes subside and the redness goes away, but it’s about being consistent. No juices…no sodas! You will feel depleted from time to time but it’s so worth it. While maintaing a healthy diet products with aloe can help. I use Ultimate Gold Bond with aloe.

That’s helpful and I think you are totally correct. If I eat too much sugar (yeast LOVES sugar) and or use nicotine it flares up guaranteed. I’ve been fighting SD for about 3 years. I’ve used ACV, Vicks vapor rub, tea tree oil, frankinsense oil, oregano oil, witch hazel and MANY others. What I’ve learned is that a lot of this stuff will work FOR A WHILE then you need to switch it up. I’m quite sure it fights off the yeast for an undetermined amount of time and then the yeast overcomes the treatment and comes back. I don’t know how many times I’ve said to my husband “I finally stopped the skin dandruff” only to have it flare back up again. Currently I’m using a product from Amazon called Honey Skin and though I didn’t think it was worth a hoot at first I’ve been using it for a couple months, I’m only 1/2 way through the jar and so far so good! Now currently my skin freaked out, turned all red and is crunchy dry so I don’t know if this Honey Skin cream is getting ready to fail on my or what. Lately I’ve added like not even half a drop of Oregano oil when I apply it. WARNING: oregano oil burns like hell! You seriously need to use like 1/5 of a drop starting out or your face will burn worse than anything you’ve ever tried. It does seem to help but like I said it all works for a while then the yeasts overcomes.

I like the idea of using diet to control or eliminate SD. Anyone tried replacing sugar with honey in their diet?
Michael, I noticed you never mentioned any Neutrogena products, such as T-Sal. Feedback, anyone?
Lastly, thanks for all the info you provided, Michael!

0%fat kefir ,especially strained for use of the whey only which contains the lactoferrin. Dissolves the chitin layer of the fuI ngus by binding iron, I think. Highest levels of lactoferrin is found in human breastmilk , tears, and saliva.

I cured my grand daughter’s cradle cap in 24hours with a yogurt scalp mask. Her mother could have cured it with her own breastmilk.! The baby’s doctor had her mother using Selsun Blue for months. I had been doing my routine of yogurt and kefir for two years , at this point, so I knew EXACTLY what to do. I have never been helped by a dermatologist. They are clueless.

I use kefir to “shampoo” and to wash my face and body by letting it sit as a mask for as long as possible. An hour or more over my entire body. And also put the kefir or whey on my face during the day and leave it on for hours at a time.

The whey does not leave a white film and is not noticeable at all. You might could wear it under makeup, but I actually would not recommend the wearing of makeup with SD.

I also avoid oils of any kind as I am sensitive /allergic to all forms of coconut oil, so I cannot use the mct oil that would otherwise be an option.

I have familial sensitivity/allergy to fowl , especially eggs, and I believe to carob and to chocolate. Histamines are a trigger for many other symptoms in my life. Seeking out what you might be sensitive/allergic to is the most important thing , to avoid chasing your tail as you trouble shoot this problem . The trigger from the inflammation of the immune response. Papules. Ugly oosing red sights that then coelesce with the SD.

-Avoid bad stress. Actively engage in good stress or challenge. Don’t worry. Be happy.

-Avoid the oil cleansing method.

-Do not give blood . Leave that to the healthy citizens because you cannot afford the stress to your obviously compromised immune system !

-Drink plenty of water.

-“Dry Body Brushing” to bring blood flow and nutrients to the skin . Be gentle. Different brushes for different parts of your body. Wash them often. The kefir also has lactic acid which is a genle exfoliant. No need to moisturise or add another layer of gunk on my skin.

-Raw Manuka Honey mask . At least a 17 rating on the scale of activity.

-Witch hazel has amazing ability to break up a bacterial biofilm. The older you are, the more likely you are to have biofilms. Seek one not processed with alcohol. Or collect leaves and young twigs to make your own “sun tea” for your face and scalp. As a mouthwash etc. . Tannins(histamine) is less concentrated in the leaves than in the bark for those with an issue with that.

-Do not disturb the acid mantle of the skin. No soap or shampoo of any kind. Not castile either. Even the conditioners have silicone that blocks the skin from breathing and gives the fungus a place to proliferate. This is a very important point. You don’t want anything between the actives in the kefir and the fungus. Silicone does help to detangle and repel dust and dirt on the hair, so that your hair stays “cleaner” longer , however.

-Bathe EVERY night. If at all possible, do the kefir body mask every night. Ears and everywhere. I soak my feet also. The kefir will deal with any foot fungus and or roughness that you have and leave your feet very soft.! I sit in the warm bathroom and listen to a podcast for at least an hour. You could put a towel on your head and a house coat on to go about your evening too. It is not worth the cost of the kefir if you are not willing to let it have time to do its’ work.
When you start to rub and rinse off the kefir , that is now bound up with your body debris , keep at it and you will reach a point where you feel the debris sloughing off. I just use my hands and fingers because it is the gentlest. I can monitor the pressure and feel the old skin sloughing off. You need to stay in the shower or keep the wet conditions, long enough for this to take place. I don’t have a bathtub.

Sometimes I don’t have time for a kefir treatment , so I rinse and rub with water only to wash as much of the sebum and then the dead skin layer away as possible . Be gentle, but effective. It takes just as long ,for all of this rinsing and rubbing , as it does for a shampoo and condition. It takes warm water to do an effective job of it , but you will not get to a “squeaky clean” . That would be over cleansing. You will get past any greasy feeling, however, as the waxy sebum is washed away along with the dead skin.

A final rinse of a tiny bit of acv in quart of cool water. I soak my 36" locks in it for maybe three minutes, and then pour the rest over my body. No conditioner is ever necessary.! The acidity smoothes the cuticle making the brushing out a breeze. If you have dry or curly hair, I would use mct oil if you can get away with it. I can’t though.

-I will put a layer of kefir or kefir whey on my face even after my bath, and then wipe it off before bedtime. That application of the kefir is THE most effective application of the day . I believe it is so effective because I have washed off all the excess sebum and oil, then the actives in the kefir can get up close to the fungus , and my skin might be softer from the bath and more receptive.

My skin is greatly improved.
After 20 years of alopecia , that was not SD related but made worse by the dandruff shampoos , my hair is not falling out anymore and has filled back in .!
I do have a bit of a crusty scalp but not ever itchy or dandruf .
If I used the kefir scalp mask every night, I believe that would do it for me.

Is this a cure? No. I believe that SD is a gut problem and an immune problem triggered by an extremely stressful event or illness or a genetic weakness, and made worse by modern habits and ideas about what it means to have a “clean” body.

I once heard a famous gastroenterologist describe himself as a dermatologist. The audience laughed and he in reply said " I am . I am a dermatologist.!" . Soooooo true. Inside skin and outside skin , but it is a continuous system of skin .

That is my story and i’m sticking to it.!

Hi Susan, I am very interested in your process of using the Kiefer. We have been making Kiefer with whole milk with the understanding that the grains thrive better in whole fat milk. We have had some beneficial results using the kefir as food, but would like to understand better how you use it on your skin. You also mentioned using Apple cider vinegar In a rinse but for dry hair you mentioned a different abbreviation that I’m not familiar with. Could you tell me what that is and how you use it.
Thank you for sharing.

I have had seborrhea dermatitis for most of my life only at the top of my nose down the side and on my chin. It comes with a burning itch which I have been using a fragrance free baby cream which does take the pain away but leaves me withmy skin peeling and looking very dry.I very interested in trying the honey and if that doesn’t work looking at the suggested

How did the honey work?

I have been using vaseline and coconut oit omg i thought it was helping but it’s all over my chest and neck and face and back and little bit on my stomach. Dry flaky itch patch skin and i hate it.

Are you able to let me know if these are safe ingredients for SD? I’m recently diagnosed but have been suffering for a year with horrible facial breakouts. I’m researching new makeup but feel overwhelmed with the ingredient lists. I’m looking into younique pressed powder foundation and primer. I have photos of the ingredient list that I could provide. Thanks so much

Have seborrheic dermititis on face and need a night cream.

Thank you so much!

My seborrhea is worst in a very small area under my right eye, so the honey treatment might be the way to go. But how much honey to how much water? And does the mixture keep?

I have scalp psoriasis and have been suffering over two years. Over the counter shampoos,various oils, prescribed medications and now my doctor is thinking of monthly injections which I refused due to the side effects. What next? I am exhausted! Maybe aloe Vera plant, dead sea salt; I don’t want to feed the malesseza which I think I have been by applying olive oil, coconut oil, aquaphor.Please advise. The stinging and itching is continuous.

Hi Michael, I ordered the Cetaphil Restoraderm on amazon and it’s the “Eczema calming” body moisturizer and body wash—-is this what you use? I want to make sure I’m using the right one! Thanks!

Since exhibiting a sudden rash on my scalp and subsequent horrible pain and tightness in my scalp and now edges of the face, I’ve been struggling with this “eczema” and have used the Dermatologist’s shampoo Ketoconazole and topical Betamethazone for itching. Not too great. I just tried the new Gold

A