7 Tips to Finding Moisturizer That Works for Seborrheic Dermatitis

Is the biom-8 okay to use on scalp areas with sebborheic dermatitis?

Hi Cindy,

Many users have reported using the Biom8 on the scalp with great success. Personally, I’ve only been using it on my facial area (and hairline). However, these is a version of Biom8 in the making specifically formulated for scalp applications (some may argue that it may not even be needed as the original has been effective enough). This scalp version is planned to be release sometime next week.

Hope that helps.
Please let me know if you have any other question.

Hello,
I’m 29 and have SD. I’ve been using a Jericho black sea mud soap now and it will contain it with minimal flare ups. Recently my cheeks have been burning as if they are too dry. What is a good facial wash to try first as well as moisturizer? I also get the flakes in my ears, good to hear I’m not the only one.

how much does cetaphil restoraderm cost? I see it on amazon. Its so expensive, about $70. You buy it with that price, dont you?

hello, Thank you for your post. I’m asian. I’m a student. Can u tell me how much cetaphil restoraderm costs? I see it on amazon. Its so expensive, about $70. You buy it with that price, dont you?

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for checking in and providing your experience.
Out of all the commercial products out there, the Cetaphil Restoraderm line was my favourite for control my SD.
It provide good results for almost a year (skin remained SD free). A more detailed outline of my experience with these products can be found here:

My Seborrheic Dermatitis Skin Regimen

After a while, this approach seemed to loose effectiveness. This pushed me to keep doing research and then I ended up creating my own solution. A more detailed outline and overview of it can be found here:

My Seborrheic Dermatitis Skin Regimen 2.0

Others who have used it have reported similar results to me. However, there are also people who it didn’t seem to work for. This is likely due to a different set of microbes being at work on these individual’s skin.

Hope that helps.
Best of luck.

I really like this info given- I suffer from eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis. I am allergic to coconut and all properties of coconut so I find it very hard for many years to find a good lotion with no coconut oils or properties( cocoate, caprilic Triglicerides copypolymer etc) I used to use the old vaseline intensive care lotion yellow bottle fro the late 90’s but this has now been discontinued and a new vaseline lotions are introduced with new ingredients that don’t agree with me. Would really love more advice as it making me more depressed especially at work having to face customers. Please help- I’m open to everything…

Hi every moisturiser seems to make things worse. I have been moisturising my t zone for years but maybe this is what is making it worse. Also have tried all medicated creams but none have done much to improve things. My t zone is not red. It is flaking and itching/irritated. Maybe all the moisturising is adding to the problem? Have heard people have succes with sea salt in water as a face wash. Have you heard of this or AVC on a cotton wool pad applied to the face? Your thoughts would be Much appreciated.

Hi Huyen,

Here in Canada they sell it at Wal-Mart. Both the cleanser and the moisturizer cost about $10-15 each. Amazon.com has them listed for roughly the same price as well. Not sure where you are located, but perhaps internationally it becomes much more expensive.

However, my regimen has currently changed from using Restoraderm products. A more detailed outline of my current regimen can be found here:
My Seborrheic Dermatitis Skin Regimen 2.0

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Hi Michael,

Just wondering if ever you try ACV? I have SD on my eyebrow and now its on my chin as well, its really itchy and flaky. I tried coconut oil but it makes worst! Then make some research and i found Apple cider Vinegar. I am using the Cerave which is ok but still i have very dry face and itchy face. I am thinking to switch to cethapil gentle cleanser and moisturising cream. I will wait for your reply thank you.

Really like the article, thank you for educating me! I suffer from SD, usually around my goatee, especially when I trim it. I have tried many products, but not much luck controlling, except when I use a steroid cream.

I’m trying to purchase the Cetaphil product you mention here, but can’t seem to determine which one you recommend, as there are many “Restoraderm” products. Is is the body lotion, or can you provide the specific name on the bottle?

Also, would you recommend using a pre-shave oil or another product before shaving, would this help reduce the redness / rash after shaving ?

Thank you.

Hi Dhine,

Sorry for such a delay in response.
My attempts with apple cider vinegar never really gave me the results I was after. Plus it was a fairly stinky treatment for everyday usage for me.
Additionally, through out my time with this website most people who have had any success with this method still looked for something easier to use.

There is a post that talks about my experience with ACV and you can find it here: Treating Seborrheic Dermatitis With Apple Cider Vinegar

Since the summer of 2015, I’ve been using the following method with great results: My Seborrheic Dermatitis Skin Regimen 2.0. Some others on the website report good results with Nystatin and you can find lot’s of discussion here: Nystatin A Potential Seborrheic Dermatitis Treatment.

Hope that helps and you can finally something that works for you. Best of luck!
If you find the time, would be great to hear how things unfold.

Hi Martin,

Thank you for the positive feedback.
Yeah the Cetaphil products are actually marked as Cetaphil Restoraderm Eczema Calming Body Wash and Cetaphil Restoraderm Eczema Calming Body Moisturizer.
Here in Canada they are labelled a little different, but those are the names that appear on US Amazon. Also, you can probably find them in Wal-Mart (that is where I used to buy them).
And even though they are labelled for body usage, I strictly use them for my face (regular vegetable soap for rest of body).

Personally, they seemed to stop working after about a year of usage.
You can find my updated approach here: My Seborrheic Dermatitis Skin Regimen 2.0.

Hope that helps and all the best.

I started having skin problems for a while when I found out that I have seborrheic dermatitis. It helps to know what I should be looking for in lotions that can treat it. Looking for lotions that have ingredients like aloe and calendula is good to know. I’ll check for those ingredients while I’m shopping for a new lotion.

Michael,

Question regarding what you’ve read about raw honey. I read the abstract of the study you’ve referenced, but was wondering if you have a copy of the entire article from the medical journal. I’m curious when it was said of those that continued (shows success with initial treatment) with the longer term treatment that all had no recurrence, was that only during the treatment or did no recurrence happen post the 6 month of longer term treatment.

I’ve also read of others that have had success using oil of oregano (topically) and was curious if you came across any information regarding it as a possible treatment.

Thanks

What brand of l glutamine are you using? Been using practically anything to get rid of my sd for almost 20 yrs now… For the past 2 days been using antidandruff shampoo and it helps but i think need to use moisturizer… I will try cetaphil for the past 3 months been using argan and rosehip oils it works for sometime but i think it really worsen my condition as it feeds the yeast…

Do you need to shampoo after the honey and water solution?

Hi there, just wondering if the Cetaphil restoaderm is safe to be used on the face? Or is it only for the body?

Thanks! Xx

I have SD really bad, hair, eyebrows, face, ears, and a little on the arm and neck. What’s causing this is an overgrowth of yeast I guess, and it’s important to consider changing your diet. After eliminating certain foods and drinking lots of water within 3-5 days you will see a change. You can buy as many creams and try as many remedies but you must first treat what’s on the inside (the root). When I eat healthy, the flakes subside and the redness goes away, but it’s about being consistent. No juices…no sodas! You will feel depleted from time to time but it’s so worth it. While maintaing a healthy diet products with aloe can help. I use Ultimate Gold Bond with aloe.

That’s helpful and I think you are totally correct. If I eat too much sugar (yeast LOVES sugar) and or use nicotine it flares up guaranteed. I’ve been fighting SD for about 3 years. I’ve used ACV, Vicks vapor rub, tea tree oil, frankinsense oil, oregano oil, witch hazel and MANY others. What I’ve learned is that a lot of this stuff will work FOR A WHILE then you need to switch it up. I’m quite sure it fights off the yeast for an undetermined amount of time and then the yeast overcomes the treatment and comes back. I don’t know how many times I’ve said to my husband “I finally stopped the skin dandruff” only to have it flare back up again. Currently I’m using a product from Amazon called Honey Skin and though I didn’t think it was worth a hoot at first I’ve been using it for a couple months, I’m only 1/2 way through the jar and so far so good! Now currently my skin freaked out, turned all red and is crunchy dry so I don’t know if this Honey Skin cream is getting ready to fail on my or what. Lately I’ve added like not even half a drop of Oregano oil when I apply it. WARNING: oregano oil burns like hell! You seriously need to use like 1/5 of a drop starting out or your face will burn worse than anything you’ve ever tried. It does seem to help but like I said it all works for a while then the yeasts overcomes.