5 Proven Home Remedies for Seborrheic Dermatitis on the Scalp

Hi, thank you for your advice, I have read it but it does not say to use the treatment before or after shampoo, would you please advise?

Hi shivam,
Same problem here bro. Yar mujhe 3 year se ye problem hai.jab tak tablet lo tab tk sahi rhta h yr. Iska kuch desi ilaaz mile to batana bhai.please.

Honey-water aur Baking Soda solutions bohot effective hain. Apni skin condition aur severity ke according dono mein se koi solution try kar ke dekh lo. Mujhe lagbhag teen mahine ho gaye use karte huye aur ab medicines lene ki zaroorat nahi padti.

Hi Michael,

Which brand of raw honey did you order from Amazon?
I am using Societe Naturelle Raw Honey ordered from Amazon but it doesn’t seem to be effective.

Thank you for providing such valuable information. I have SD around nose and I was using medicine for it since 4 years and now even they were not effective to control it. Tried every dandruff shampoo and all kinds of face wash but what really worked for me is Apple Cider Vinegar that I tried after reading this article. Peeling and itching of skin has stopped totally and redness has also reduced to quite an extent. I would like to try the honey method as well but I am not sure about the purity of honey available here, they all contain sugar and antibiotics.

Hi Lourdes,

Sorry for the delay.
Just wanted to clarify which treatment are you referring to?

Hey shivam
Can u tell me how to use honey and water combination on my scalp
Or any other recommendation.
I am also facing problem of sebhorric dermatitis
Plzzz reply soon
Or if you can email me personally
That would be really helpful.
I am also facing this problem from last two years.
Thanx
Waiting for ur reply

Hey Michael
Plzzz suggest some ways to remove sebbhoric dermatitis
I have read ur post for honey water combination.
Shall I use it and how
Plzzz suggest me something.
And what’s the best weather to stay.
Because I sweat a lot can this be the reason for not getting rid of it.
Because I read somewhere sweat increases fungal infection…
So plzzz suggest
Email : tarunstays9 @gmail.com
Thanx

Hey
And plzzz suggest me things I should avoid to eat in my diet
Or some food I should eat it.
Thanx

Hi Shivam,

From all the honey I had used a random local bought one was the most effective.
This is the one I bought from Amazon, it seemed to be mildly effective. However, at that time I was getting very inconsistent with treatments as well.

Hope that helps. All the best.

Hi Hashim,

Thanks for the positive feedback and happy the Apple Cider Vinegar worked out so well for you.
The honey treatments are much more difficult in my opinion and were really hard for me to sustain. The best place to get local honey would be from local bee keepers. This would likely be the purest form.

All the best.

And which company raw honey u are using…
Bhai bta Dena jab time mille…
Thanx

Thank you Michael, I used the coconut oil treatment, I felt much better after I used it and waited the 3 hours, then I washed my hair, but it keeps coming back

Hi Tarun,

The effect that sweat has appears to depend on the state of the immune system. If the immune system if functioning well, the sweat would contain a good amount of anti-microbial peptides which would actually help control the seborrheic dermatitis.

As for suggestions, please have a look at a post I previously wrote which summarizes all the treatment approaches I have attempted: Overview of Seborrheic Dermatitis Face Treatments
It covers quite a bit and there is lot’s of tips from readers in the comments section as well.

This is what I’ve been doing to manage my SD for the past couple of months:
My Seborrheic Dermatitis Skin Regimen 2.0

Hope that helps and best of luck.
PS. One of the best things that you can do for SD is to stay calm and avoid overthinking things. Reducing stress can significantly improve immune function and may greatly aid in improving SD.

Hi Tarun,

Personally, I think dietary suggestions are unique to individuals. Previously I had attempted a large amount of dietary recommendations based on the suggestions of other people online. Most of the results actually appeared to come from the way I started to perceive the food I ate and not physical reactions. For this reason I strongly believe that we must learn to understand our bodies own unique demands and not what other people may be suggesting.

For foods you should eat I think focusing on vegetables and fish is good.

All the best.

Hi Lourdes,

Glad to hear that it’s somewhat working. For me, I had a similar experience with the coconut oil.
The thing that has actually been working for quite a while for me has been this shampoo:
Andalou Naturals Moisture Rich Shampoo

Overall though I feel that understanding the condition is the key to long-term treatment. Currently working on a book and you can preview some of the chapters drafts here:

Hope that helps and look forward to any updates.

Hello, great information. Re: the honey and water treatment: you say to boil the water. My experience has been that even HOT water will make the dermatitis worse. Did you mean boil - and let it cool down? Thanks.

Hi Nick,

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. Hot water should not be used.
What I was doing is boiling the water and letting it cool down. A better alternative might actually be to buy distilled water and use this instead.
This can be found in most supermarkets and often times it is in the pharmacy section.

Hope that helps.
All the best.

Hii, is it okay to apply the honey to my face ??

Hi Rebecca,

Yeah the face was the only spot that I used the raw honey treatments. You can find a more detailed post regarding this approach here.

All the best.