5 Proven Home Remedies for Seborrheic Dermatitis on the Scalp

Thanks I will.
I’ve never had a clear scalp but there’s been times when it looks much improved.

Recently I learned from another site that suggested dead sea salt in combination with warm chlorine free water.

I haven’t tried the honey and as far as food related remedies go, I may try buying a garlic shampoo.

Right now I’m debating on using honey or sea salt. I may end up using sea salt and chlorine free water because I notice my scalp improves when I visit the beach. I notice the difference instantly, but I can’t keep going all the time.

I’ve decided to try and treat this thing once again after a few years.

The other problem is hair gel too, I was told years ago from a dermatologist never to use hair gel. But that would mean haircuts twice a month.

I will keep you posted the minute I decide what to do.
Thanks.

I have a seborrheic dermatitis or ketosis on my scalp about the size of a quarter. My doctor wants to freeze it off but I don’t know if I should take such a drastic route. He says it’s too large to just go away with any kind of treatment. Have you ever known anyone to go through this?

hello! I’m 19 years old and I’ve been suffering from seborrheic dermatitis for about a year now. It’s mainly on my scalp and on my face. I’ve been using aloe vera on my scalp for about 2 years & it’s been working wonderfully! However, the main problem now is my face. I have seborrheic dermatitis around my mouth and my chin. It gets very very red and flaky. This is really embarrassing especially because I work in retail & I’m dealing with people all day. I’ve noticed people just stare at my problem areas and believe me, it does not help my already low self-esteem. Anyway, I tried the acv approach and I’m not sure what to do… I did it about 5 am today. I got tissue paper, soaked it in pure apple cider vinegar and left it on my face for about 45 minutes. And it really stung… like, a whole lot. After that I rinsed it off and tried it again at 5 pm. This time I used cotton balls & left them on for another 45 minutes or so. Again, it freaking stung. Now, it did help with the flakiness but damn my skin is red. Like bright red. I don’t know if I should continue with these treatments especially since I have work tomorrow & I know the redness is gonna last for about another week if I continue, or if I should try the honey treatment. Did that help with the redness? What should I try to get rid of the redness? Please help.

Day 1:
So! I tried the garlic treatment. I bought ten heads and juiced them and bolied and pot of water, let it get warm and did 50/50. Immediately the garlic on the scalp began to burn BUT I stuck it out. Within fifteen to twenty minutes the burning slowed down and stopped. The mix instantly lifted the flakes off my scalp and eliminated the itching.

Day 2: I rinsed the garlic mix out with Apple cidar vingar and water mix followed by a shampoo of Dr. Bronner’s peppermint soap (certainly helps with the smell smh) but the itching now occurs but not as badly. I went to the health food store and bought coconut oil to greese my scalp with. Unfortunately I can not repeat this treatment in three days due to my hair’s texture so I’m hoping the coconut oil will do justice until I wash my hair in two weeks.

When I repeat this treatment I will only use the vinegar and water because this garlic smell is KILLING ME!!!

Yes, my hair is thinning.

I have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp for months now. It’s getting really irratating. I have tried everything. Every shampoo and oil. My doctor perscribed shampoo, tablets and lotion but still I have no result. I even tried Chinese remedies but no result out of it. I have itchiness, redness and big lumps of dandruff on my scalp. I’m always taking them off as I got use to it. When I peel the dandruff off I have bleeding from my scalp and pain. Can anyone help me out.

Never heard of that. I finally just got rid of a 15 year battle with Seborrheic Dermatitis.
I have the same story as everyone. Seen every doctor, they all tell us to use Ketazole, which stops working quick, if it ever does. Steroids work a bit but we all know they have a bunch of repercussions.

I tried tea tree oil for a while but even that stopped working.

I had bad Seborrheic Dermatitis. My face was covered in dandruff and if I scratched it, it would sometimes bleed underneath the flakes. I had it in my brows, between them, on my forehead, and on and around the nose, and my neck. We’re talking a very VERY intense case.

I was doing research about anti-inflammatory cryotherapy for muscles, and stumbled upon an article on OIL OF OREGANO. I know a lot of people are against oils on the face but this is more of an essence not an oil.

OIL OF OREGANO has anti-fungal properties that are stronger than most medications (from personal experience now), and it has anti-inflammatory traits too. I was at my whits end one day, my face was covered in flakes and redness, so I went to Whole Foods and bought it. It’s about $20 for a fairly small vile. It burned like a SOB. I would not recommend doing it right out of the shower. It smelled like a greek salad, it made my face red, and stung. The next morning I noticed that my redness was at about 60% of what it was the day before. I tried the oil again, by the next day I was at 75% gone, and by the third day I was at 95% perfect skin. It also cleared up my acne.

It’s been three months now, and I’ve had not a single flare up. I kept a calendar for a doctor, and I would only have 2-3 dermatitis free days a month at max. I haven’t had any redness, flakes, or anything for 3 months. The oil I use also has olive oil in it, so my skin hasn’t dried out.

I was reading about Oregano Oil and then your post came up on my Google Search.

You were spot on with that. Copy pasted this to another comment but here it is again.

I have the same story as everyone. Seen every doctor, they all tell us to use Ketazole, which stops working quick, if it ever does. Steroids work a bit but we all know they have a bunch of repercussions.

I tried tea tree oil for a while but even that stopped working.

I had bad Seborrheic Dermatitis. My face was covered in dandruff and if I scratched it, it would sometimes bleed underneath the flakes. I had it in my brows, between them, on my forehead, and on and around the nose, and my neck. We’re talking a very VERY intense case.

I was doing research about anti-inflammatory cryotherapy for muscles, and stumbled upon an article on OIL OF OREGANO. I know a lot of people are against oils on the face but this is more of an essence not an oil.

OIL OF OREGANO has anti-fungal properties that are stronger than most medications (from personal experience now), and it has anti-inflammatory traits too. I was at my whits end one day, my face was covered in flakes and redness, so I went to Whole Foods and bought it. It’s about $20 for a fairly small vile. It burned like a SOB. I would not recommend doing it right out of the shower. It smelled like a greek salad, it made my face red, and stung. The next morning I noticed that my redness was at about 60% of what it was the day before. I tried the oil again, by the next day I was at 75% gone, and by the third day I was at 95% perfect skin. It also cleared up my acne.

It’s been three months now, and I’ve had not a single flare up. I kept a calendar for a doctor, and I would only have 2-3 dermatitis free days a month at max. I haven’t had any redness, flakes, or anything for 3 months. The oil I use also has olive oil in it, so my skin hasn’t dried out.

I was “diagnosed” with sd for approximatly 10 months from a HT-doctor in miami and another doctor in miami. Under the examination, i told them to use a black light (UV-light) and look at my scalp, since i noticed my scalp would glow up white.

I was affraid it was ringworm or something.
However, both the doctors told me it was sd, but im still not really sure. When i first noticed it, i hade (and still have) verry much hairloss. the hair falls out easy when i pull it, and often a bigg ball is attached to the hair rot. The ball is kinda soft and can easily be pulled off. i’m lossing 200+ hairs every day, and it seems to be no end. Im a guy, but it doesn’t strike me as MPB. Nobody in my famlily suffers from MPB, in addition i have a twin brother (identical) who should experience the same if that was the case. I’ve been no a number of other doctors (blodwork, pull-test which was positive etc) but to no help.
Anyways!

Do you know if sd can be diagnosed with black light, as it glows up like in my case?

I was “diagnosed” with sd for approximatly 10 months from a HT-doctor in miami and another doctor in miami. Under the examination, i told them to use a black light (UV-light) and look at my scalp, since i noticed my scalp would glow up white.

I was affraid it was ringworm or something.
However, both the doctors told me it was sd, but im still not really sure. When i first noticed it, i hade (and still have) verry much hairloss. the hair falls out easy when i pull it, and often a bigg ball is attached to the hair rot. The ball is kinda soft and can easily be pulled off. i’m lossing 200+ hairs every day, and it seems to be no end. Im a guy, but it doesn’t strike me as MPB. Nobody in my famlily suffers from MPB, in addition i have a twin brother (identical) who should experience the same if that was the case. I’ve been no a number of other doctors (blodwork, pull-test which was positive etc) but to no help.
Anyways!

Do you know if sd can be diagnosed with black light, as it glows up like in my case?

Hi. I have the exact same problem. I’ve had it for 15+ years. I have only just come across the garlic remedy. I’m in the middle of trying it out. I really really hope this works. Because my condition has got worse. I can sometimes feel the blood trickling down my scalp after peeling the humongous flakes. Disgusting need to get hold of the apple cider vinegar and hemp oil. Hopefully it will work

Hi Anila,

I had similar problem before and i had visited well know skin specailist where he advised me to apply a shampoo by name " Scalpe " its an Indian made shampoo and it really works just try it once. Please note i am not commercial at Scalpe it is just my experience you may try it.

Regards,
Aryan

Hi I have bought the same Oregano Oil. Going to try it out. Did yours work. Did it clear up.

I am not a doctor, but it seems to me as if you have microsporosis, and not bd. You might check it out.

After reading the forum i found out that the Cider vinegar works on my sd… wow thanks God really miracle… i used moisturizer only for bed time the rest cider vinegar… today is just my two days applying CV. Hope it will works with other people having sd.

I have been suffering from Keratosis for some time now. several recommended shampoo’s have not worked. I now have some relief from massaging natural yogurt into my scalp. leaving for two or more hours then rinsing and shampooing with anti dandruff. It helps me…

My son suffered with sd for years … doctors gave him steroid cream … we tried special shampoos and nothing worked. He went on the GAPs Diet which cured his eczema, headaches, leaky gut, candida overgrowth, etc. but sd persisted. My latest home remedy is the only thing that worked. I shampooed his hair with Head and Shoulders and after rinsing out, I got a large cup of warm water adding 5-6 drops of clove essential oil and a splash of apple cider vinegar and poured this over his head/scalp without rinsing out. After three treatments in one week the sd was completely gone and has not come back. It’s been 6 weeks and not one speck of sd.

I personally don’t use any of these. I’ve been suffering with this for 18 years. I did use Skin Zinc until they stopped making it a year ago. I was in trouble and had to experiment with different things. This is what I do and believe it or not it works for me. All you need is : Dial Antibacterial liquid soap, Vasiline Intensive Repair lotion, cotton balls, tweezers and concealer if needed. 1st step: wash face with dial. Step 2: after shower, pat dry your face. Mine is around my nose area. I put the Vasiline lotion all over my nose. And I put a lot. Step 3: let set for about an hour. I usually let mine sit while my hair towel dries. Step 4: wipe off with Cotten balls. There may be some redness still, that’s where step 5: comes in. Use your concealer. It shouldn’t take much. In the morning check to see if there is any skin flaking. If there is use the tweezers to get it off. Never use your nails, this will only aggravate it more, trust me I know. After all dried skin is gone, check to see if you need more concealer. I usually don’t. Hope this helped.

Im using garlic and just with day 1 i can see some change, i smash it and apply the juice directly on affected area and leave it for 20minutes then wash off

Very detailed information. Great work. I am suffering from SD for last 16 years and have tried many products that I even not remember the name of. Now I have it on my face. I had it on my scalp too but it is no more there after treating it with apple cider vinegar. But on my face it doesn’t seem to work. I think it was the main reason for my hair loss too. I am searching for some solution that will work for SD on my face. I have it on chin mustache, around nose, eyebrows, behind ears and in ear canal. I have read that BIOM8 seems to work for most of the sufferers but it’s not available in my country. How can I get it here as courier companies don’t shop liquids. I would be grateful for any help in this regard.

Regards,

Aamer Hamdani