5 People Who Cured Seborrheic Dermatitis with Diet Alone

Thanks for the great information.

I found cutting all dairy out does definitely help but I will still get flare ups but less often. The flare ups can be controlled simply with salt water. It the only thing that works. It stops the itching and redness in minutes.

I now use a small spray bottle and carry it with me in case my skin gets bad. Just the tiniest amount of dairy hidden in food will set it off.

You couldn’t be more incorrect. It is completely related to diet. Most disorders of the GI tract (which is the epicenter of our immune system), skin, etc. can be treated and usually fixed with a change in your eating habits. Your lack of knowledge of the connection between diet and health is obviously lacking.

How are you results coming along? Is your brother still cured?

What you just said is so far from the truth that im embarrassed for you. Dont listen to this guy.

I have had SD since birth, so think their must be a genetic component. I have read that some skin conditions that involve inflammation and may be linked to an early warning for this other conditions. I use tea tree oil shampoo after Nizoril was taken off the market. It is also migrated to my eyebrows and parts of my face. It was a little manageable, but after a miscarriage it’s worse. I have to use aloe straight from the plant for relief from my burning face. I eat reasonably gluten free (maybe the occasional cheat at birthday parties), I do not drink milk - cheese has never bothered me, drink kombucha, eat veggies from our garden and no beef. This has been throughout my life and it doesn’t matter if I neglect or take care of myself. Washing my hair frequently helps but doesn’t completely cure. I would be happy if it was only a little bit in my scalp. Like I say, the only true relief was ketaconazole shampoo which I can no longer get and I am just at a dead end. I take medication for my thyroid and my skin was initially better but now worse because my cheeks even hurt now.

Hi. Not in my case. I can’t eat chicken skin, but other animal fats are almost ok. Peanuts and eggs are medium level threats to me. Do not play too much stressful video games over long hours in a role.

To some it may has to do with room temperature of between 10 to 16c, colder winter times gives lower immune system. Also I once tried putting on foundation on my face for 7 hours, after I wipe off the make up the rashes are all gone, but at another time it gives more burns on my nose’s area! Playing stressful PC games for long hours also dehydrates my body and the stress if bad for SD, Rosacea and eczema! In summer there would be less SD on my face, but Rosacea are more active, and in the winter both SD and eczema are more active! I just can’t eat chicken skin as it really trigger the SD intensely.

Me too, but also I’ve Rosacea with SD, so sweating is like a curse to me! In the winter I’ve ezema and SD … Hell! It was fun! Thank God for the knowledge! But I’ve not reached the hell gate yet!

I can be a 50 year-old virgin, but no diary is no way! I just let it burn in the past 17 years, now time to buy make up!

Hi,
I’ve also had SD since birth. It has always been in my scalp, ears, and eyelids occasionally. Every time it goes away from a certain spot, it appears in a different one. I became vegan to see if it would get better, but it didn’t. However, I am never going back to eating animal products because I like the way I feel. I have recently found out that legumes (soy, peanuts, beans, lentils…) cause flare ups. Gluten seems to be an issue too.
During summer time, it almost goes away completely. During winter, it gets worst. Same thing if I’m stressed out. I’m going to cut out all legumes and see how it goes. This will be a challenge, being a vegan I feel very deprived by not being able to have legumes.
I am very frustrated and tired of trying to heal my body. I had never heard of anyone who had it since birth like me.
I hope by now you have found a way to make it better. If so, please let me know.

`This article is a bit misleading. Diet indeed is so important when you are dealing with seb derm, but the root of seb derm is androgen production. The higher level of androgens, the more sebum produced and worsened seb derm. First you must find out why your body is producing extra androgens and correct that. On top of that you must make sure the sebum is removed from skin (scalp, ears, etc.) using shampoos that work at that (nizoral is decent) as the sebum causes the inflammation of the seb derm. Diet does play a role though as sebum production for some people can be increased by consuming certain foods. For me those foods are high in histamine; canned fish, chocolate, spinach, tomatoes, alcohol, aged cheeses and such. If I watch my diet, make sure I am doing all I can to lower androgens (spiro for women) and keep my skin clear I am okay, not cured. The only time I am safe to eat some of those foods is when I am on prednisone which stops inflammation. Seb derm is complex, but diet alone won’t “cure it” that is a just not true. I say this after dealing with issues for 15+ years and it has been a long road. Man I miss vinegar!

I wonder if some people get SD worse than others and if multiple types exists (probably yes!), i mean, i hear people talking about withdrawal periods but i never experience them. I live in a tropical place year round and i have no benefit from all this warmth and sun.

I recently used prednisone too because of a surgery i did and my flakes went away for 2 weeks (now it’s back full time), but this drug completely destroys our immune system short term and our bones in the long term. It makes me wonder what kind of role does the immune system have with this because i believe the problem is a different kind of sebum, not exactly over production, although this might be (and probably is in some cases) a factor to increase the problem.

Too bad i’m not woman to use some birth control pill and reduce this skin mess forever (my sister got her flakes almost under complete control (99-99.5%) because of the birth control she takes.

Anyway, i want to link back some research i’m into, i have a greater list now and some other studies to read, but if you or anybody else wants to help me to put a stop forever to this condition, please follow the link, comment in my comment and give some help (support, searching, ideias, etc…).

I wonder if there is some kind of virus (other than HIV) or bacteria involved and is yet unknown by the scientific community, i always try to remember we are born into this world without knowning anything, so this might be a well a possibility too.

As an example:

I suffered around 12-14 years with this condition. It was all over on my face and scalp. I have tried everything you can think of without any success. I watched a video on youtube and adopted his technique. but also made some small changes. It has been about 4 months and no more seborrheic dermatitis.

This is what I have done:
1- Started to drink green tea 2-3 times in a day
2- Limited my normal tea consumption to 2 cup in a day
3- Limited my coffee consumption to 2 cup in a day
4- I stopped adding sugar to my tea (I add a very tiny bit sugar, just the tip of the spoon)
5- I stopped eating sweets (no chocolate, no ice cream, no biscuit)
6- I stopped drinking fizzy juice (no coke, no fanta)
7- Every night I washed my face and head with pure apple cider vinegar (i didnt add any water)
8- Every night once vinegar is dried, I used a small amount of coconut oil on my face and scalp
9- I started using head and shoulders
10- Started taking vitamin d (5000iu a day)
11- I have done this about 30-40 days

Now, I apply the vinegar and coconut oil once a week. I drink the green tea 4-6 times a week. Sometimes I eat chocolate, ice cream and sweet but max 1 in a day. I don`t drink fizzy juice.

Hello I’m suffering from this horrible thing called serbborreic dermatitis I’m really miserable to where I don’t wanna be seen my whole self esteem is very low because I have these red flaky patches on my face please tell me where I began

Hey Danielle,

First, if you are using steroids or antifungal shampoos (dandruff shampoo) this might not work immediatly as some sort of rebound effect happens when you leave these medications for about 2-3 months straight.

That doesn’t mean this will happen with you but be warned.

Now what i recommend is:

Short term:
Buy organic extra virgin coconut oil (or just virgin), cold pressed if possible.
Buy Cetaphil Restoraderm lotion.
Every morning take a shower clear your face and hair (i use shampoo and soap, normal ones). After the shower dry your face with a towel (pating or whatever, doesn’t matter) and apply coconut oil in large quantities to your face, soak it really well, apply it in all affected areas.
Keep doing it 3 days straight, after that you start to use the Cetaphil restoraderm instead of the coconut oil, after 1 week treating, starting doing it every other day, with the cetaphil and the coconut oil whenever you feel like.

Mid term:
As you are a woman, i recommend that you try some birth control pills if you don’t use it already, if you do use it already, try to change the pills with your gynecologist.

Long term:
A vegan diet like Rob Stuart tells in his youtube channel and some cleasing like coffee enemas might help you to solve this issue long term.

If this helps you would you please tell me later? I would be very happy to see that this helps other people over there.

Could you link the Youtube video you mentioned?
I would be interested to check it out. Thanks.

I’ve managed to control seborheic detmatitis through diet as well.
My diet plan is followed only on weekdays (strictly) and i freely eat anything i want during weekends. I tried to follow an almost vegetarian diet during the week since i consume a lot of red meag during the weekend.

Please note that the main purpose of the diet was for weight loss and health. After 3-4 weeks I realized that my seborheic both on face and scalp disappeared.

Weekdays mealplan:
Lunch and dinner includes:
1/5 grains such as quinoa, brown rice, millet, buckwheat
1/5 seafood or fish such as calamari, prawns, cod fillet
1/5 legumes such as beans, lentils, chickpeas
2/5 vegetables such as eggplant, spinach, brocolli etc

All of the above foods are prepared without oil, sugar, salt, msg, oil and are always boiled, steam or oven cooked. (No frying or grilling)
I usually add spices, salt and extra virgin olive oil after cooking.

For snacks i “might” eat some nuts (usually almonds) and fruits up to 5 portions per day.
An avocado or full fat greek yogurt can be added as side dish to the main courses.

Last but not least, every night i drink 1 pint of homemade milk kefir

Hi, I was fighting with Seborrheic Dematitis for 10 years and i have found 2 causes of this illness:

1. allergy to some foods (food intolerance). It cuses dandruff (i scratch some small as if stones form head scalp, hair falls and skin is oily. The food that causes in my case is dairy(all), sugar and other. The bad food that causes dandruff is measured by MRT150 tests (mediator release tests) - it checks 150 products and ingredients that causes dandruff and other skin problems. Indicator of food intolerance is lack of energy, dandruff, skin problems and rare excrement. If you do not scratch small stones from head but still your scalp itches see point 2 below.
  2. higer or smaller allergy to shampoos. For years i had seborrheic dermatitis which disappered and came back. One year ago dandruff was constanrt after all shampoos. I do not have it only when I use the most sensitive shampoo which for me is Clear and Free Phamraceutical Specialties. When I use other shampoo I get seborrheic Dermatitis after 1 or 2 days after using it.